* Wdired doesn't like re-search-forward
@ 2021-06-19 13:47 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2021-06-19 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello list,

I have a function called `bsl' that converts some backslash sequences
in the region to their corresponding characters, and also converts
character sequences like "#U00e3" to the character "\xe3" - an "a"
with a tilde - to deal with a quirk in unzip, that sometimes creates
files with these "#Uhhhh"s in their names. This `bsl' is implemented
with a `(while (re-search-forward ...) replace-match ...)'.

In Emacs 27 I can use `M-x bsl' to modify filenames in wdired, and
everything works. In Emacs 28 if I modify filenames with `M-x bsl' and
then exit wdired my changes are discarded, and I get this message:

  (No changes to be performed)

Is this related to the recent (?) changes in wdired? I noticed that
now letters are bound to `wdired--self-insert' instead of
`self-insert-command' in wdired mode... is there something that I need
to do to make wdired recognize changes that were not done by
`wdired--self-insert'?

And, more important of all: should I prepare a minimal way to
reproduce the problem and submit a proper bug report?

  Thanks!
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev