* Configure python-flymake-command to use ruff instead of pyflakes
@ 2023-10-30 14:52 Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2023-10-30 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to update the variable `python-flymake-command' to use ruff
[1] instead of pyflakes (the default).  The docstring suggests one can
use flake8 instead of pyflakes so I'm hoping that means one can also use
ruff instead of pyflakes.  I understand flake8 is a wrapper around
pyflakes.

I've set the variable via the customize interface as follows based on
this reddit post [2] but to no avail on Emacs 27.1:

(custom-set-variables
'(python-flymake-command '("ruff" "--quiet" "--stdin-filename=stdin" "-")))

I'm aware of flymake-ruff [3] and ruff-flymake [4] but I thought if I
could set this variable accordingly I could avoid the use of these third
party packages.

Thanks for Emacs and your time.

[1]: https://docs.astral.sh/ruff/
[2]: https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/10yzhmn/flymake_just_works_with_ruff/
[3]: https://github.com/erickgnavar/flymake-ruff
[4]: https://github.com/cjfuller/ruff-flymake

* Re: Configure python-flymake-command to use ruff instead of pyflakes
@ 2023-11-06 19:01 ` Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2023-11-06 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Please disregard my original email.  I don't know why but it is working
for me now but could someone be so kind to explain what the "-" argument
represents in the variable setting?  It is present in the flake8 example
in the docstring as well so I included it here but don't really
understand its purpose.