* .emacs not loading .el library
@ 2012-08-07 22:36 drain
From: drain @ 2012-08-07 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

My .emacs has been a series of load commands for a while now, e.g.,

(load "~/where/my/miscellaneous/configs/are.el")
(load "~/where/my/macro/configs/are.el")
(load "~/where/my/keybinding/configs/are.el")

I have eight of these located in the same directory, and wanted to load them
all with one line of code in my .emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/my/lisp/library")

But emacs just opens to the tutorial splash screen, a clear indication that
this failed.

* Re: .emacs not loading .el library
@ 2012-08-07 22:55 ` Alp Aker
From: Alp Aker @ 2012-08-07 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 6:36 PM, drain <aeuster@gmail.com> wrote:
> My .emacs has been a series of load commands for a while now, e.g.,
>
> (load "~/where/my/miscellaneous/configs/are.el")
> (load "~/where/my/macro/configs/are.el")
> (load "~/where/my/keybinding/configs/are.el")
>
> I have eight of these located in the same directory, and wanted to load them
> all with one line of code in my .emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/my/lisp/library")

Adding an element to `load-path' doesn't cause any files to be loaded;
it merely informs Emacs of another directory in which to look for
files it's been asked to load.

* Re: .emacs not loading .el library
@ 2012-08-07 22:56 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-08-07 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drain; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.08.2012 um 00:36 schrieb drain:

> (load "~/where/my/keybinding/configs/are.el")
>
> I have eight of these located in the same directory, and wanted to load them
> all with one line of code in my .emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/my/lisp/library")

In case "/path/to/my/lisp/library" is the same path as "~/where/my/keybinding/configs" then the last statement allows you to perform eight times:

	(load "are.el" t t t)

The variable load-path is similar to the environment variable PATH (or path) for (some) shells: it allows to find a command by the file name (for example: "ls") or to load an Elisp file by its name (for example: "are.el") instead of using the full path name. (When PATH points to the directory with ls, remove, compile, why isn't the shell endlessly ls'sing, removing, and compiling?)

--
Greetings

  Pete

To be is to do.