* tramp X forwarding howto
@ 2013-09-04  8:59 Paul K
From: Paul K @ 2013-09-04  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo people.

I visit remote directory of my linux box.
I want to run some X application for some remote file, but I get some error
message:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

My *Messages* buffer also tells:

Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -q   -o
ControlPath=/tmp/tramp.29890nH.%r@%h:%p
-o ControlMaster=yes -e none RHEL6-64'

`RHEL6-64' is the name of my remote linux box.

I do not see `-Y' argument in the ssh command. Is this the reason?

how can I instruct tramp to use this argument ?

best regards,

* Re: tramp X forwarding howto
@ 2013-09-04 10:37 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-09-04 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Paul K <mafeuser@gmail.com> writes:

> Hallo people.

Hi Paul,

> I visit remote directory of my linux box.
> I want to run some X application for some remote file, but I get some error
> message:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>

> My *Messages* buffer also tells:
>
> Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -q   -o
> ControlPath=/tmp/tramp.29890nH.%r@%h:%p
> -o ControlMaster=yes -e none RHEL6-64'
>
> `RHEL6-64' is the name of my remote linux box.
>
> I do not see `-Y' argument in the ssh command. Is this the reason?
>
> how can I instruct tramp to use this argument ?

Which Tramp version are you running? Apply "C-h v tramp-version".

> best regards,

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp X forwarding howto
@ 2013-09-05  9:09   ` Paul K
From: Paul K @ 2013-09-05  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Michael,

it is:
2.2.6-24.3

ps.
tramp is wonderful module! Thank You for that.

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>wrote:

> Paul K <mafeuser@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hallo people.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> > I visit remote directory of my linux box.
> > I want to run some X application for some remote file, but I get some
> error
> > message:
> >
> > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> >

> > My *Messages* buffer also tells:
> >
> > Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -q   -o
> > ControlPath=/tmp/tramp.29890nH.%r@%h:%p
> > -o ControlMaster=yes -e none RHEL6-64'
> >
> > `RHEL6-64' is the name of my remote linux box.
> >
> > I do not see `-Y' argument in the ssh command. Is this the reason?
> >
> > how can I instruct tramp to use this argument ?
>
> Which Tramp version are you running? Apply "C-h v tramp-version".
>
> > best regards,
>
> Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp X forwarding howto
@ 2013-09-05  9:29     ` Paul K
From: Paul K @ 2013-09-05  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael,
I just found the solution on:
http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Remote-processes

now it works!

sorry for bothering You.

best regards,
Paul

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Paul K <mafeuser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hallo Michael,
>
> it is:
> 2.2.6-24.3
>
> ps.
> tramp is wonderful module! Thank You for that.
>

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>wrote:
>
>> Paul K <mafeuser@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hallo people.
>>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> > I visit remote directory of my linux box.
>> > I want to run some X application for some remote file, but I get some
>> error
>> > message:
>> >
>> > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>> >

>> > My *Messages* buffer also tells:
>> >
>> > Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh -q   -o
>> > ControlPath=/tmp/tramp.29890nH.%r@%h:%p
>> > -o ControlMaster=yes -e none RHEL6-64'
>> >
>> > `RHEL6-64' is the name of my remote linux box.
>> >
>> > I do not see `-Y' argument in the ssh command. Is this the reason?
>> >
>> > how can I instruct tramp to use this argument ?
>>
>> Which Tramp version are you running? Apply "C-h v tramp-version".
>>
>> > best regards,
>>
>> Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp X forwarding howto
@ 2013-09-05  9:32     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-09-05  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Paul K <mafeuser@gmail.com> writes:

> Hallo Michael,

Hi Paul,

> it is:
> 2.2.6-24.3

Well. That's pretty recent.

> I visit remote directory of my linux box. I want to run some X
> application for some remote file, but I get some error message:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> I do not see `-Y' argument in the ssh command. Is this the reason?
> how can I instruct tramp to use this argument ?

Likely, the recipe explained in section 6.5.1 of
<http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Remote-processes> should work for you.

Adding an additional argumemt to the ssh call, like -X or -Y, is more
tricky. If the recipe above does not work, you could add a respective
entry to your ~/.ssh/config:

Host RHEL6-64
     ForwardX11Trusted         yes

Best regards, Michael.