Salutations! I want to be able to copy a url from a text terminal. (Actually, I'm using a terminal emulator that will just open the link with the appropriate incantation.) For long links, however, the line-wrap character gets in the way. I tried the tip at http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LineWrap but none of the suggested replacement characters work. (I'm running 23.3.1 under tmux.) I then tried shelling out to something like "less," but it seems like there is no way to suspend emacs from full-screen. Using M-x shell or M-x terminal-emulator seems to leave a gap in the last column. I eventually ended up doing something like: (defun show-with-tmux () "Displays the region in a new tmux window using less Unfortunately, this is the easiest way I can think of for getting a string without any end-of-line continuation on my terminal. I want to do this for URLs so that I can use my terminal program to open the link." (interactive) (let ((oldbuf (current-buffer)) (beginning (region-beginning)) (end (region-end)) ) (with-temp-file "~/tmp/toread.txt" (insert-buffer-substring-no-properties oldbuf beginning end)) (call-process "tmux" nil nil nil "neww" "less ~/tmp/toread.txt") ) ) To display the text with "less" in a different tmux screen. This seems to have a pretty inelegant feel, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a better way. Dennis Lin