* make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-08 23:46 Chris Van Dusen
From: Chris Van Dusen @ 2012-04-08 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I checked out Emacs from bzr yesterday, and was trying to build it, but received the error below after performing the following steps:

$ sh autogen.sh
$ ./configure --with-ns
$ make bootstrap
.
.
.
Generating autoloads for desktop.el...
Generating autoloads for desktop.el...done
Generating autoloads for dframe.el...
Generating autoloads for dframe.el...done
Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound!
Generating autoloads for dired-aux.el...
Error: (error "Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)")
Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)
make[3]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
make[2]: *** [/Users/chrisvandusen/src/emacs/src/../lisp/loaddefs.el] Error 2
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

This is on Mac OS 10.6.8.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?  If there is more info needed, just let me know.

Thanks,
Chris.

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-09  3:04 ` Kuroishi Mitsuo
From: Kuroishi Mitsuo @ 2012-04-09  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cavandusen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

  From:       Chris Van Dusen <cavandusen@gmail.com>
  Subject:    make bootstrap fails
  Date:       Sun, 8 Apr 2012 18:46:01 -0500

  > $ sh autogen.sh
  > $ ./configure --with-ns
  > $ make bootstrap
  > .
  > .
  > .
  > Generating autoloads for desktop.el...
  > Generating autoloads for desktop.el...done
  > Generating autoloads for dframe.el...
  > Generating autoloads for dframe.el...done
  > Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound!
  > Generating autoloads for dired-aux.el...
  > Error: (error "Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)")
  > Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)
  > make[3]: *** [autoloads] Error 255
  > make[2]: *** [/Users/chrisvandusen/src/emacs/src/../lisp/loaddefs.el] Error 2
  > make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
  > make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
  >
  > This is on Mac OS 10.6.8.
  >
  > Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?
    If there is more info needed, just let me know.

I had the same problem above the other day.

In my case the bzr command didn't work properly because I
install Python under ~/local and I needed to set PYTHONPATH
correctly.

I guess your bzr executed from the make command doesn't work
well. Why don't you check about it.

For your convenience.

Regards,

--
Kuroishi Mitsuo

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-09  6:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-04-09  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Chris Van Dusen <cavandusen@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 18:46:01 -0500
>
> I checked out Emacs from bzr yesterday, and was trying to build it, but received the error below after performing the following steps:
>
> $ sh autogen.sh
> $ ./configure --with-ns
> $ make bootstrap
> .
> .
> .
> Generating autoloads for desktop.el...
> Generating autoloads for desktop.el...done
> Generating autoloads for dframe.el...
> Generating autoloads for dframe.el...done
> Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound!
> Generating autoloads for dired-aux.el...
> Error: (error "Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)")
> Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)

What happens if you go to the lisp directory and type this at the
shell prompt:

@ 2012-04-09 13:49   ` Chris Van Dusen
From: Chris Van Dusen @ 2012-04-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Chris Van Dusen <cavandusen@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 18:46:01 -0500
> >
> > I checked out Emacs from bzr yesterday, and was trying to build it, but
> received the error below after performing the following steps:
> >
> > $ sh autogen.sh
> > $ ./configure --with-ns
> > $ make bootstrap
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > Generating autoloads for desktop.el...
> > Generating autoloads for desktop.el...done
> > Generating autoloads for dframe.el...
> > Generating autoloads for dframe.el...done
> > Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound!
> > Generating autoloads for dired-aux.el...
> > Error: (error "Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED
> (status 4)")
> > Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)
>
> What happens if you go to the lisp directory and type this at the
> shell prompt:
>
>  bzr status --no-classify dired.el

Interesting.  Here's the output:

~/src/emacs/lisp$ bzr status --no-classify dired.el
bzr: ERROR: exceptions.TypeError: run() got an unexpected keyword argument
'no_classify'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 946, in
exception_to_return_code
    return the_callable(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 1150,
in run_bzr
    ret = run(*run_argv)
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/plugins/loom/commands.py",
line 203, in run_argv_aliases
    super(cmd_status, self).run_argv_aliases(list(argv), alias_argv)
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 699, in
run_argv_aliases
    return self.run(**all_cmd_args)
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/commands.py", line 721, in
run
    return self._operation.run_simple(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/cleanup.py", line 135, in
run_simple
    self.cleanups, self.func, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/bzrlib/cleanup.py", line 165, in
_do_with_cleanups
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
TypeError: run() got an unexpected keyword argument 'no_classify'

bzr 2.4.2 on python 2.6.1 (Darwin-10.8.0-i386-64bit)
arguments: ['/usr/local/bin/bzr', 'status', '--no-classify', 'dired.el']
plugins: bash_completion[2.4.2], bzrtools[2.4.0], changelog_merge[2.4.2],
    colo[0.3.0], email[unknown], explorer[1.2.1], extmerge[unknown],
    fastimport[0.11.0dev], keychain[0.1.0], launchpad[2.4.2],
loom[2.2.1dev],
    netrc_credential_store[2.4.2], news_merge[2.4.2], pipeline[1.1.0],
    qbzr[0.22.0dev], rewrite[0.6.2], svn[1.1.0], upload[1.0.1dev],
    weave_fmt[2.4.2], xmloutput[0.8.7]
encoding: 'UTF-8', fsenc: 'utf-8', lang: 'en_US.UTF-8'

*** Bazaar has encountered an internal error.  This probably indicates a
    bug in Bazaar.  You can help us fix it by filing a bug report at
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+filebug
    including this traceback and a description of the problem.

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-09 15:47     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-04-09 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 08:49:42 -0500
> From: Chris Van Dusen <cavandusen@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > What happens if you go to the lisp directory and type this at the
> > shell prompt:
> >
> >  bzr status --no-classify dired.el
> >

> Interesting.  Here's the output:
>
> ~/src/emacs/lisp$ bzr status --no-classify dired.el
> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.TypeError: run() got an unexpected keyword argument
> 'no_classify'

Looks like your bzr installation is broken.  (And why do you have
bzrlib in site-packages? perhaps it's an incompatible version of
bzrlib?)

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-09 16:41       ` cavd
From: cavd @ 2012-04-09 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Apr 9, 2012, at 10:47, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 08:49:42 -0500
>> From: Chris Van Dusen <cavandusen@gmail.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>>> What happens if you go to the lisp directory and type this at the
>>> shell prompt:
>>>
>>> bzr status --no-classify dired.el
>>>

>> Interesting.  Here's the output:
>>
>> ~/src/emacs/lisp$ bzr status --no-classify dired.el
>> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.TypeError: run() got an unexpected keyword argument
>> 'no_classify'
>
> Looks like your bzr installation is broken.  (And why do you have
> bzrlib in site-packages? perhaps it's an incompatible version of
> bzrlib?)

I'm not sure about bzrlib. I'm using the bzr bundle for 10.6., and it's the latest stable version.

I'll look closer at the bzr aspect, and report back.

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: make bootstrap fails
       [not found] <mailman.762.1333928770.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-04-10  2:46 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-10  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound!
> Generating autoloads for dired-aux.el...
> Error: (error "Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)")
> Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)

Please report it as a bug.  It might be triggered by a problematic
installation of Bzr or something else, but Emacs's build should not fail
just because it can't determine the VC status of a file.

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-10 22:54   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-04-10 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)
>
> Please report it as a bug.  It might be triggered by a problematic
> installation of Bzr or something else, but Emacs's build should not fail
> just because it can't determine the VC status of a file.

The simple solution is just to disable all vc backends while building
(not like they can do anything at all except cause a slow-down), as
previously suggested:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-08/msg00461.html

However there was some opposition to the idea.

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-11  0:46     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-11  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Running bzr status --no-classify dired.el...FAILED (status 4)
>>
>> Please report it as a bug.  It might be triggered by a problematic
>> installation of Bzr or something else, but Emacs's build should not fail
>> just because it can't determine the VC status of a file.

> The simple solution is just to disable all vc backends while building
> (not like they can do anything at all except cause a slow-down), as
> previously suggested:

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-08/msg00461.html

> However there was some opposition to the idea.

As explained back then: if it's a problem while building Emacs, there's
no reason to think it won't be a problem in other use cases.  So it
should be fixed the right way, rather than swept under the carpet.

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-11  2:10       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-04-11  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> As explained back then: if it's a problem while building Emacs, there's
> no reason to think it won't be a problem in other use cases.  So it
> should be fixed the right way, rather than swept under the carpet.

So if I fix this bug, and add something to test/automated/vc.bzr.el to
prevent it coming back, may I then turn off vc during the Emacs build?

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-11  2:57         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-11  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> As explained back then: if it's a problem while building Emacs, there's
>> no reason to think it won't be a problem in other use cases.  So it
>> should be fixed the right way, rather than swept under the carpet.
> So if I fix this bug, and add something to test/automated/vc.bzr.el to
> prevent it coming back, may I then turn off vc during the Emacs build?

No, because it might hide other bugs.  We want to eat our own dog-food.

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-11  3:24           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-04-11  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> So if I fix this bug, and add something to test/automated/vc.bzr.el to
>> prevent it coming back, may I then turn off vc during the Emacs build?
>
> No, because it might hide other bugs.  We want to eat our own dog-food.

IMO, it's making people who want to build Emacs eat dog food.

We should write more VC test cases, rather than forcing people who just
want to build the thing to test it for us. I've added one for this case,
and fixed it.

* Re: make bootstrap fails
@ 2012-04-11 10:22             ` Chris Van Dusen
From: Chris Van Dusen @ 2012-04-11 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Stefan Monnier

On Apr 10, 2012, at 10:24 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

>> No, because it might hide other bugs.  We want to eat our own dog-food.
>
> IMO, it's making people who want to build Emacs eat dog food.
>
> We should write more VC test cases, rather than forcing people who just
> want to build the thing to test it for us. I've added one for this case,
> and fixed it.

I can understand (and agree with) a dog food eating policy, but it seems
like it would be in a test, not the actual build.

Regardless, I was able to build it. Thanks!

arf.