* How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-20 22:26 eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-20 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
mode?

Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.

Eric

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-20 23:06 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-10-20 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

eric5931 <eric5931@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
> mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
> cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
> mode?
>
> Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> Eric

You should be able to access to the info files in standard directories
such as /usr/share/info by typing: C-h i  or M-x info RET

You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* RE: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-20 23:53   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-10-20 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> > files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't
> > get to INFO mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in
> > "Text Fly" mode and I cannot use the links to see related info.
> > How could I set it to info mode?
> >
> > Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> > goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> You should be able to access to the info files in standard directories
> such as /usr/share/info by typing: C-h i  or M-x info RET
>
> You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list.

Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).

If that is a major mode, check the value of `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 10:44 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-10-21 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:26:56 -0700 (PDT),
eric5931 <eric5931@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
> mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
> cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
> mode?
>
> Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.

dired-x has the command `dired-info' and binds it to `I' in
dired-mode. However, this only makes sense for previewing info
documentation you don't want to install. C-h i is the normal way to
read info documents.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: How to get to info mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-21 13:50     ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-10-21 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:

> Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
> that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
> that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).

"Fly" is the status-name of the minor mode "flyspell-mode" which underlines
incorrectly spelled words, like most modern word processors. So the OP's
emacs is most likely in text-mode with flyspell-mode.

Eric,
did you open the .texti files using C-x C-f,
or did you use C-h i to enter info mode,
and then navigate to the info node of interest?

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 18:36       ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 21, 6:50 am, "Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-
thank-...@csmiller.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Drew Adams wrote:
>
> > Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
> > that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
> > that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).
>
> "Fly" is the status-name of the minor mode "flyspell-mode" which underlines
> incorrectly spelled words, like most modern word processors. So the OP's
> emacs is most likely in text-mode with flyspell-mode.
>
> Eric,
> did you open the .texti files using C-x C-f,
> or did you use C-h i to enter info mode,
> and then navigate to the info node of interest?
>
> HTH,
> Colin S. Miller
>
> --
> Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

I jump to info mode with saved bookmarks. I have tried C-h i. It works
for my own info file. But everytime I jump to /usr/share/info/dir, it
showed the correct file, but in "Text Fly" mode and is in a normal
buffer, not *info* buffer. When I repeat this to go to teh Emacs info
file, it is in the correct mode though.

Eric.

* Re: How to get to info mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9188.1256082833.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-21 18:38     ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-21 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 20, 4:53 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > > I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> > > files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't
> > > get to INFO mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in
> > > "Text Fly" mode and I cannot use the links to see related info.
> > > How could I set it to info mode?
>
> > > Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> > > goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> > You should be able to access to the info files in standard directories
> > such as /usr/share/info by typing: C-h i  or M-x info RET
>
> > You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list.
>
> Start by finding out why it is in "Text Fly" mode. Find out what the function is
> that sets that mode (probably something like `text-fly-mode'). Find out where
> that function gets called (in the Lisp code you load).
>
> If that is a major mode, check the value of `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
> code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.

Thanks. I added a auto-mode-alist line for the file "dir". But it
didn't help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all
looks allright to me.

Eric

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 18:43 ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your help and information.

I tried to use bookmark to jump around different info roots (/usr/
share/info, emacs, and my own tips). It works in other boxes but just
not this one.

With the info I got here, I finally decided to add my local info file
to "Info-directory-list". This gives me a very big list whic hcontains
everything (which I was trying to avoid by using bookmarks). But it
works now.

I still don't know why this emacs (built from source) didn't
automatically recognize /usr/share/info/dir though.

Eric.

On Oct 20, 3:26 pm, eric5931 <eric5...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using emacs 23.1.1 in a new RHEL 5 host. When I visit any INFO
> files, like /usr/share/info/dir, somehow the emacs didn't get to INFO
> mode as in my other hosts. Instead, it is in  "Text Fly" mode and I
> cannot use the links to see related info. How could I set it to info
> mode?
>
> Also, do I need to do anything in my .eamcs to let it automatically
> goto info mode? I thought emacs should do this by itself.
>
> Eric

* RE: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-21 20:06       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-10-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'eric5931', help-gnu-emacs

> > If that is a major mode, check the value of
> > `auto-mode-alist' - perhaps some
> > code you load adds a mapping for `*.info' files to `text-fly-mode'.
>
> Thanks. I added a auto-mode-alist line for the file "dir". But it
> didn't help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all
> looks allright to me.

No, don't fiddle with `auto-mode-alist' unless it is already mapping `.info' to
the wrong mode.

> I jump to info mode with saved bookmarks. I have tried C-h i. It works
> for my own info file. But everytime I jump to /usr/share/info/dir, it
> showed the correct file, but in "Text Fly" mode and is in a normal
> buffer, not *info* buffer. When I repeat this to go to teh Emacs info
> file, it is in the correct mode though.

If `C-h i' works for your own file, but not for some others, then they are not
listed in the `dir' that you are using. It sounds like you need to do what
Pascal suggested:

 > You can also add directories to the variable Info-directory-list

Or better yet, customize option `Info-additional-directory-list', which is
intended for user modification.

* Re: RE: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-22 18:46         ` eric5931
From: eric5931 @ 2009-10-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, eric5931; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Drew,

Thanks very much.

Eric

       [not found] <mailman.9290.1256237202.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-22 20:32 ` Jon Solberg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9307.1256305215.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jon Solberg @ 2009-10-22 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-10-22, eric5931@gmail.com <eric5931@gmail.com> wrote:
> --0016e64cba026f616b04768a8329
>
> Drew,
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Eric
>

> --0016e64cba026f616b04768a8329

> 09 1:06pm, Drew Adams &lt;drew.adams@oracle.com&gt; wrote:<br />&gt; &gt; &=
> gt; If that is a major mode, check the value of<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt; &=
> gt; `auto-mode-alist&#39; - perhaps some<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt; &gt; cod=
> e you load adds a mapping for `*.info&#39; files to `text-fly-mode&#39;.<br=
> de-alist line for the file &quot;dir&quot;. But it<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt=
> ; didn&#39;t help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all<br =

Your newsreader is broken. Fix it.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam." from email address).

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-23 13:38   ` Richard Riley
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9307.1256305215.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-10-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jon Solberg <jon@jonsolberg.nospam.se> writes:

> On 2009-10-22, eric5931@gmail.com <eric5931@gmail.com> wrote:
>> --0016e64cba026f616b04768a8329
>>
>> Drew,
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> --0016e64cba026f616b04768a8329

>> 09 1:06pm, Drew Adams &lt;drew.adams@oracle.com&gt; wrote:<br />&gt; &gt; &=
>> gt; If that is a major mode, check the value of<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt; &=
>> gt; `auto-mode-alist&#39; - perhaps some<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt; &gt; cod=
>> e you load adds a mapping for `*.info&#39; files to `text-fly-mode&#39;.<br=
>> de-alist line for the file &quot;dir&quot;. But it<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt=
>> ; didn&#39;t help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all<br =
>
> Your newsreader is broken. Fix it.

Looks fine here. Does slrn not render html?

(although yes, posting to groups in html is bad, tis his is a mailing list
 recreated by gmane or a ng?)

* Re: How to get to info mode
@ 2009-10-23 13:56     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-10-23 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Jon Solberg <jon@jonsolberg.nospam.se> writes:
>
>> On 2009-10-22, eric5931@gmail.com <eric5931@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> --0016e64cba026f616b04768a8329
>>>
>>> Drew,
>>>
>>> Thanks very much.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>

>>> --0016e64cba026f616b04768a8329

>>> 09 1:06pm, Drew Adams &lt;drew.adams@oracle.com&gt; wrote:<br />&gt; &gt; &=
>>> gt; If that is a major mode, check the value of<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt; &=
>>> gt; `auto-mode-alist&#39; - perhaps some<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt; &gt; cod=
>>> e you load adds a mapping for `*.info&#39; files to `text-fly-mode&#39;.<br=
>>> de-alist line for the file &quot;dir&quot;. But it<br />&gt; <br />&gt; &gt=
>>> ; didn&#39;t help. I did a grep to see anything change the mode. It all<br =
>>
>> Your newsreader is broken. Fix it.
>
> Looks fine here. Does slrn not render html?
>
> (although yes, posting to groups in html is bad, tis his is a mailing
> list

Obviously a blackout there. The above should read "is this" not "tis
his is" ...

>  recreated by gmane or a ng?)

* Re: How to get to info mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9307.1256305215.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-23 14:07     ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-10-23 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Looks fine here. Does slrn not render html?
>
> (although yes, posting to groups in html is bad, tis his is a mailing list
>  recreated by gmane or a ng?)

This is a newsgroup, gnu.emacs.help, also bi-directionally mirrored to
the mailing list help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.

Most people consider HTML encoding text-only messages to newsgroups and mailing-lists
to be a breach of netiquette; this is a hang-over from the days of low-bandwith links.

Gmane (amongst other sites) mirrors and archives this group.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--

@ 2009-10-23 14:46       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-10-23 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> Looks fine here. Does slrn not render html?
>>
>> (although yes, posting to groups in html is bad, tis his is a mailing list
>>  recreated by gmane or a ng?)
>>
> This is a newsgroup, gnu.emacs.help, also bi-directionally mirrored to
> the mailing list help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.
>
> Most people consider HTML encoding text-only messages to newsgroups and mailing-lists
> to be a breach of netiquette; this is a hang-over from the days of
> low-bandwith links.

I would agree that html is bad. But his news reader is not "broken" as
suggested by Jon : rather his set up is wrong. One of the nice things
about w3m is that it handles html "text" posts quite well and one is
often not even aware one is reading a yucky html contribution.