* mouseless copying to clipboard
@ 2012-01-13 20:30 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-01-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Emacsers

I'd like to be able to copy text to my X-clipboard without using the
mouse.  The problem is that I like to use emacs -nw for reasons I
won't go into, and it doesn't seem to work.  That is, if i run

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

and then set mark, move point, M-w, the selection is not saved to my
X-clipboard. I've confirmed it works when I call emacs without the -nw
option.

Is there a solution?  I'm running the version below on Ubuntu 10.04.

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2011-03-04 on palmer, modified by Debian

Silvio

* Re: mouseless copying to clipboard
@ 2012-01-13 21:05 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-01-13 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Silvio Levy; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.1.2012 um 21:30 schrieb Silvio Levy:

> The problem is that I like to use emacs -nw for reasons I
> won't go into, and it doesn't seem to work.  That is, if i run
>
> (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
>
> and then set mark, move point, M-w, the selection is not saved to my
> X-clipboard. I've confirmed it works when I call emacs without the -nw
> option.

This variable's name tells you that is specific to exactly one windowing system, the X11 Windows System. One should not assume that it is available with other windowing systems (NextStep/Apple, MS) or no windowing system at all.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Wasting time is an important part of living.

* Re: mouseless copying to clipboard
@ 2012-01-13 21:12 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-01-13 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> This variable's name tells you that is specific to exactly one windowing
> system, the X11 Windows System. One should not assume that it is
> available with other windowing systems (NextStep/Apple, MS) or no
> windowing system at all.

Hi Peter,

To clarify, I am using X11 with xfce4 as the window manager.
And as I wrote the whole thing works if I call emacs without -nw,
but I prefer to run emacs -nw in a gnome-terminal, especially if
I'm running it on remotely via ssh. (I don't have the option of
mounting the remote file system locally.)

@ 2012-01-13 21:35 ` Ludwig, Mark
> > This variable's name tells you that is specific to exactly one
> windowing
> > system, the X11 Windows System. One should not assume that it is
> > available with other windowing systems (NextStep/Apple, MS) or no
> > windowing system at all.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> To clarify, I am using X11 with xfce4 as the window manager.
> And as I wrote the whole thing works if I call emacs without -nw,
> but I prefer to run emacs -nw in a gnome-terminal, especially if
> I'm running it on remotely via ssh. (I don't have the option of
> mounting the remote file system locally.)
>
> Silvio

Silvio,

What you are not apparently understanding is that "-nw" means "no window" so even though you are in fact running under X11, you are telling Emacs that it is not.  In this mode, none of the "x-" variables have any meaning or purpose.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: mouseless copying to clipboard
@ 2012-01-13 22:17 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2012-01-13 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

Hi Silvio!

> I'd like to be able to copy text to my X-clipboard without using the
> mouse.  The problem is that I like to use emacs -nw for reasons I
> won't go into, and it doesn't seem to work.
> Is there a solution?

If you install xclip (which can be installed with apt-get, on Ubuntu
11.10 at least) and load the lisp file located at
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/xclip.el
then it should work.

Jay

* Re: mouseless copying to clipboard
@ 2012-01-13 22:57 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2012-01-13 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Jay - you're great!  It worked as soon as I ran M-x turn-on-xclip.
(I found out about that by looking in xclip.el - some hook calls is
but it's apparently not being run by default.)

Silvio