From: "Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com>
To: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>,
	"help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: RE: Want split-window-vertically to split *vertically*
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 14:51:32 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Tassilo,

Thanks for responding.  I don't have any .emacs file in this environment (painful for someone accustomed to lots of custom things, but so far superior to notepad or wordpad...).

I could have sworn that I tried C-x 2 and it split horizontally, but now I can't reproduce that (with or without -Q).

Anyway, it turns out that my complaint is with the behavior of list-matching-lines.  It decides to put the *Occur* buffer side-by-side on wide frames.  I reflexively fix that with C-x 0, but then pressing RET on top of an occurrence invokes occur-mode-goto-occurrence that also decides to split wide frames horizontally.  Neither function documents any way to influence this behavior.  Is there a way?

This has the feel of something someone considered an enhancement, and when I'm working with source files (usually still in the form of 80-byte-wide punch cards), I kinda like it too.  I think what I'm looking for is smarter logic that senses the width of the content versus the width of the resulting window....

Thanks,

Mark