From: "Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to set a "goal column" for 'beginning-of-line'?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:58:40 +0800	[thread overview]

>From: Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@telia.com>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: Is it possible to set a "goal column" for 'beginning-of-line'?
>Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:46:16 +0100 (CET)
>
>Eh, I didn't read carefully enough.  You wanna read the Emacs Lisp
>manual on text properties.  The `field' might be of interest.  Some
>functions like beginning-of-line stop moving when they encounter such a
>property.
>
>(info "(elisp) Text Properties")

Now I have known the effect of text properties, and perhaps this
feature can help me fix the identation problem in mmm-mode. Only
mmm-mode needs to be modified in this manner :-)

But before modifying, I want to ask the final question: are there
many situations using the field properties? If so, using field in mmm-
mode to solve the identation problem might damage other
applications, because the name of two text properties cannot be
same, and other applications will not work if field property is
overwritten.

To Stefan:

Actually I want to modify mmm-mode so that it set field property
for php code etc, and leave field property for "the left margin"
part nil. This might work, but I'm not sure, since the identation
might behave strangely if one put point in "the left margin"
and ident there. This is because other commands like 'backward-
char' are not affected by field property. So I think adding a
variable so that all moving commands read it before moving
is still feasible.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu