* not sure of how to enter accented characters in emacs23 using spanish keyboard
@ 2009-08-19 16:26 Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-19 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I recently switched to emacs23 and I think it's great. I have had
problems however with my Spanish keyboard. Every time I need an
accented character (á), I get the character in the minibuffer, but not
in the text area. I have tried switching to spanish-* encodings but no
luck. Does any of you know what I'm doing wrong? BTW, my Emacs22, same
apparent configs, behaves as expected.
Thanks.

* Re: not sure of how to enter accented characters in emacs23 using spanish  keyboard
@ 2009-08-19 17:14 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-19 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo wrote:
> Hello,
> I recently switched to emacs23 and I think it's great. I have had
> problems however with my Spanish keyboard. Every time I need an
> accented character (á), I get the character in the minibuffer, but not
> in the text area. I have tried switching to spanish-* encodings but no
> luck. Does any of you know what I'm doing wrong? BTW, my Emacs22, same
> apparent configs, behaves as expected.
> Thanks.

Don't know. Ver. 22 is not yet wholly based on utf-8 so it probably does
things differently. You can get most European diacritics (including all
Spanish ones) by using latin-1-postfix input method:

C-x ret C-\ latin-1-postfix

then a' produces á. Other combos are shown by

C-h I latin-1-postfix

hth

* Re: not sure of how to enter accented characters in emacs23 using spanish keyboard
@ 2009-08-19 20:38   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-19 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-help gnu

>> I recently switched to emacs23 and I think it's great. I have had
>> problems however with my Spanish keyboard. Every time I need an
>> accented character (á), I get the character in the minibuffer, but
>> not
>> in the text area. I have tried switching to spanish-* encodings
>> but no
>> luck. Does any of you know what I'm doing wrong? BTW, my Emacs22,
>> same
>> apparent configs, behaves as expected.

It's better you try to make your tests by launching GNU Emacs with -q
or -Q. A lot of GNU Emacs 22 customisation deals with making it work
with non-US-ASCII encodings. This has changed in GNU Emacs 23.

You can check what your keyboard emits by first pressing C-q and then
the keyboard key. GNU Emacs seems to have problems with composing
Latin characters. The dead keys you press make it report in echo
area. This cures the problem:

	(load-library "iso-transl")

A good start is also to set an environment variable like LC_ALL (or
LANG).

--
Greetings

   Pete

When Richard Stallman goes to the loo, he core dumps.

* Re: not sure of how to enter accented characters in emacs23 using spanish keyboard
@ 2009-08-21 14:38 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-21 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.08.2009 um 18:26 schrieb Leo:

> I recently switched to emacs23 and I think it's great.

It's greater, I mean it becomes useful, with

	(load-library "iso-transl")

--
Greetings

   Pete