* Lose my face formats after saving file
@ 2011-03-13 16:02 fbr
From: fbr @ 2011-03-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am trying to use some basic formatting with emacs in fundamental or text
mode.  (M-o b, M-o i, ...etc.)  Whenever I do the bold or italic formatting
displays on the screen.  However, after I save and close the file, when I
next revisit the file the formatting fails to display.

I am new to emacs (a week or two of regular use) I really like the program,
but this one has me stumped.  I do a lot of note taking in emacs from
various text books, and the ability to underline, use bold and italic fonts,
is essential.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

* Re: Lose my face formats after saving file
@ 2011-03-14  2:43 ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2011-03-14  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/13/11, fbr <fb.roderick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to use some basic formatting with emacs in fundamental or text
> mode.  (M-o b, M-o i, ...etc.)  Whenever I do the bold or italic formatting
> displays on the screen.  However, after I save and close the file, when I
> next revisit the file the formatting fails to display.
>
> I am new to emacs (a week or two of regular use) I really like the program,
> but this one has me stumped.  I do a lot of note taking in emacs from
> various text books, and the ability to underline, use bold and italic fonts,
> is essential.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree that it's confusing.  You need to enable Enriched mode to save
formatting.  (M-x enriched-mode)

-PJ

* Re: Lose my face formats after saving file
@ 2011-03-14  3:41 ` fbr
From: fbr @ 2011-03-14  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks PJ - Problem Solved!

@ 2011-03-14  4:25 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-03-14  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fbr; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:02 AM, fbr <fb.roderick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I do a lot of note taking in emacs from
> various text books, and the ability to underline, use bold and italic
> fonts,
> is essential.

 Take a good long look at org-mode for note taking.  It may change your
life.

--
Le

* Re: Lose my face formats after saving file
@ 2011-03-14  9:50   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-14  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PJ Weisberg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net> writes:

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I agree that it's confusing.  You need to enable Enriched mode to save
> formatting.  (M-x enriched-mode)

Maybe using M-o commands should suggest the user to turn enriched-mode
on in buffer where it makes sense.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Lose my face formats after saving file
@ 2011-03-15  1:16     ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2011-03-15  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/14/11, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net> writes:
>
>> I agree that it's confusing.  You need to enable Enriched mode to save
>> formatting.  (M-x enriched-mode)
>
> Maybe using M-o commands should suggest the user to turn enriched-mode
> on in buffer where it makes sense.

If it weren't such a major change I would suggest that those commands
should turn on enriched mode as a side effect.  I have code in my
.emacs that does exactly that.

Word processors like OpenOffice will at least warn you when you're
about to save a file with italics and underlining as plain text.
Emacs will warn you when you tell it to save a file with 8-bit
characters as ASCII.  There ought to be some indication that
user-inserted text properties will be lost.

-PJ