* Whitespace mode toggling after setting directory local variables problem
@ 2011-02-26 12:40 Sergey Konoplev
From: Sergey Konoplev @ 2011-02-26 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, all.

I added perl-mode-hook toggling whitespace mode globally. I also use
dir-locals-set-class-variables to set tab-width and indent-tabs-mode
in perl-mode for a project directory. When I open a perl file from
this directory it sets the variables properly but whitespace-mode
looks like it needs to be re-toggled because it highlights some places
according to the global set tab-width and indent-tabs-mode settings.
How to re-toggle it automatically after setting directory local
variables?

See my perl-mode related configuration is in the attachment.

Thank you in advance.

--
Sergey Konoplev

Blog: http://gray-hemp.blogspot.com /
Linkedin: http://ru.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp /
JID/GTalk: gray.ru@gmail.com / Skype: gray-hemp

[-- Attachment #2: perl.el --]
[-- Type: text/x-emacs-lisp, Size: 831 bytes --]

;; Minor modes
(add-hook 'perl-mode-hook 'whitespace-mode)
(add-hook 'perl-mode-hook 'capitalized-words-mode)
;(add-hook 'perl-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
;; perlcritic
(require 'cl) ; perlcritic needs it
(autoload 'perlcritic "perlcritic" "" t)
(autoload 'perlcritic-region "perlcritic" "" t)
(autoload 'perlcritic-mode "perlcritic" "" t)
(eval-after-load "perl-mode"
  '(add-hook 'perl-mode-hook 'perlcritic-mode))

;; Indentation settings
(add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (setq
	      ;; Insert spaces instead of tabs
	      indent-tabs-mode nil
	      tab-width 4)))

;; Add postgresql-consulting specifics
(dir-locals-set-class-variables
 'postgresql-consulting '((perl-mode . ((indent-tabs-mode . t)
					(tab-width . 4)))))
(dir-locals-set-directory-class
 "~/repo/postgresql-consulting" 'postgresql-consulting)

* Re: Whitespace mode toggling after setting directory local variables problem
@ 2011-03-01  8:45 ` Sergey Konoplev
From: Sergey Konoplev @ 2011-03-01  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi again,

On 26 February 2011 15:40, Sergey Konoplev <gray.ru@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I added perl-mode-hook toggling whitespace mode globally. I also use
> dir-locals-set-class-variables to set tab-width and indent-tabs-mode
> in perl-mode for a project directory. When I open a perl file from
> this directory it sets the variables properly but whitespace-mode
> looks like it needs to be re-toggled because it highlights some places
> according to the global set tab-width and indent-tabs-mode settings.

It seems like whitespace-mode ignores variables set by
dir-locals-set-class-variables. It can be seen in the
whitespace-report. I stopped using directory local variables for the
sake of this workaround:

(add-hook 'perl-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (if (string-match "/home/gray/repo/someproject"
			       (buffer-file-name))
		 (setq indent-tabs-mode t)
	       (setq indent-tabs-mode nil))
	     (setq tab-width 4)))