Buffer-stack does buffer-stacking where the most recently used buffer bubbles to the top of the stack (think Alt-Tab on Windows). It's quite flexible and offers hooks for however you want to filter buffers. I've written a same major-mode filter -- buffer-stack-suppl.el All the files and information you'll need are here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ControlTABbufferCycling On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM, rusi wrote: > On Jan 6, 3:58 am, Leo Alekseyev wrote: > > I've started using the following bit of elisp recently, and I like it: > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ShellMode#toc3 > > > > When I have several shell buffers open, this allows me to cycle > > through those buffers with a keybinding (e.g. f7). I'd like to > > generalize this behavior as follows: if I am in a buffer with major > > mode X, pressing a key will cycle me through all open buffers in major > > mode X. That way I could easily cycle through all my open org > > buffers, dired buffers, etc. Before I go off writing more elisp, > > however, I wanted to check whether someone might have written > > something like this already :) So if you have any helpful code > > snippets, feel free to post them here. > > > > --Leo > > You may want to look at > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryBufferSwitching > -- Le