* Emacs and email (again)
@ 2010-12-10  2:09 Stephen Bunn
From: Stephen Bunn @ 2010-12-10  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

List,

  I know this has been discussed to death and everybody has their own
opinion, however, some of the information on the list is really old.  I have
been using an external mail reader for some time (thunderbird, claws, etc)
and would like to integrate this into my emacs setup.  Specifically what I'm
looking for is the following:

* Support for IMAP/Gmail (including domains attached to gmail)
* Fast and Stable
* Ability to setup multiple accounts (with the smarts to know if I'm
replying from one address to use a specefic SMTP server)
* Threaded views

So I've quickly looked at GNUS, WL, and VM. All of them seem very complex to
setup (I don't know lisp all that well).  So my question would be, which
package should I be spending my time learning?

* Re: Emacs and email (again)
@ 2010-12-10 10:22 ` Michal Sojka
       [not found] ` <AANLkTik3r0h8tvX6L860uOzKjhqdanN-Y6ihAg2+SOYN@mail.gmail.com>
From: Michal Sojka @ 2010-12-10 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Bunn, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Stephen Bunn wrote:
> List,
>
>   I know this has been discussed to death and everybody has their own
> opinion, however, some of the information on the list is really old.  I have
> been using an external mail reader for some time (thunderbird, claws, etc)
> and would like to integrate this into my emacs setup.  Specifically what I'm
> looking for is the following:

> * Support for IMAP/Gmail (including domains attached to gmail)
> * Fast and Stable
> * Ability to setup multiple accounts (with the smarts to know if I'm
> replying from one address to use a specefic SMTP server)
> * Threaded views
>
> So I've quickly looked at GNUS, WL, and VM. All of them seem very complex to
> setup (I don't know lisp all that well).  So my question would be, which
> package should I be spending my time learning?

Hi,

I do not have any experience with GNUS, WL and VM for the same reason -
complexity. You may try to look at notmuch (http://notmuchmail.org).
When you combine it with offlineimap it should support all what you want
except for using different SMTP servers. Notmuch is clever enough to
reply with correct From address (if you have more than one) so it might
be possible to select SMTP server based on From address, but it would
probably require some scripting.

-Michal

* Fwd: Emacs and email (again)
       [not found] ` <AANLkTik3r0h8tvX6L860uOzKjhqdanN-Y6ihAg2+SOYN@mail.gmail.com>