* Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
@ 2006-12-14 12:10 Ronald
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-14 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried speedbar of cedet, it is slow, and not tipping for clib function.

Then I tried etags, ``M-." at a function will open the refereced .h file.

What I want is the prototype?

BTW: How to open the man page of a function in emacs quickly?

* Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
@ 2006-12-14 14:03 ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1906.1166169584.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-14 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald wrote:
> I tried speedbar of cedet, it is slow,

Try the stock speedbar in Emacs, I think it's faster.

> and not tipping for clib function.

? What do you mean?

> Then I tried etags, ``M-." at a function will open the refereced .h file.

Don't you mean the referenced .C file?  Normally M-. will take you to
the definition of a function, not it's prototype.

> What I want is the prototype?

I don't understand, surely the function definition gives much more
information than the prototype?

Probably you could find the prototype by going through all the
occurances of a tag by using tags-apropos.  You might also be able to
modify how etags works by giving it a regexp argument - can any other
poster suggest a suitable one?

> BTW: How to open the man page of a function in emacs quickly?

You can open a man-page with M-x man function-name
If you're using a system with GNU libraries you probably want to be
reading the info files not the man pages.  To do this, when point is on
a function name type C-h C-i and it will jump to the relevant part of
the Glibc manual.

* Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
@ 2006-12-14 21:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-12-14 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.12.2006 um 13:10 schrieb Ronald:

> How to open the man page of a function in emacs quickly?

f1-f2.

--
Greetings

   Pete      <\
              _\     O  _
             |o \  _\\_/-\='
_____________(_)|-(_)  (_)___________________________________

* Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
@ 2006-12-15  7:57   ` Pawel
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1906.1166169584.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pawel @ 2006-12-15  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > reading the info files not the man pages.  To do this, when point is on
 > a function name type C-h C-i and it will jump to the relevant part of
 > the Glibc manual.
when I press C-h C-i on, let's say memset function in my *.c file, I get the following error:
Symbol's value as variable is void: Info-mode-map

To make sure that info pages contain information on memset I found one with C-h i, in entry:
* Libc: (libc).                 C library.

That's it

 -- Function: void * memset (void *BLOCK, int C, size_t SIZE)
     This function copies the value of C (converted to an `unsigned
     char') into each of the first SIZE bytes of the object beginning
     at BLOCK.  It returns the value of BLOCK.

Is there something wrong with my system?

Regards

@ 2006-12-15 13:07     ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1918.1166192256.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-15 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pawel wrote:
> > reading the info files not the man pages.  To do this, when point is on
>  > a function name type C-h C-i and it will jump to the relevant part of
>  > the Glibc manual.
> when I press C-h C-i on, let's say memset function in my *.c file, I get the following error:
> Symbol's value as variable is void: Info-mode-map
>
> To make sure that info pages contain information on memset I found one with C-h i, in entry:
> * Libc: (libc).                 C library.
>
> That's it
>
>  -- Function: void * memset (void *BLOCK, int C, size_t SIZE)
>      This function copies the value of C (converted to an `unsigned
>      char') into each of the first SIZE bytes of the object beginning
>      at BLOCK.  It returns the value of BLOCK.
>
> Is there something wrong with my system?

Well, probably something is wrong, because of the error on
"Info-mode-map".  The mode map really has nothing to do with this
function, so I don't know why the error should occur.

Regarding Info-lookup, it could be something that's not supported on
your system.  It's a GNU Libc feature.

* Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
@ 2006-12-15 14:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-15 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:57:30 +0100
> From: Pawel <null7@wp.pl>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>  > reading the info files not the man pages.  To do this, when point is on
>  > a function name type C-h C-i and it will jump to the relevant part of
>  > the Glibc manual.
> when I press C-h C-i on, let's say memset function in my *.c file, I get the following error:
> Symbol's value as variable is void: Info-mode-map

Try "M-x load-library RET info.elc RET" before "C-h C-i".

* Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
@ 2006-12-15 14:17       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1918.1166192256.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> Date: 15 Dec 2006 05:07:53 -0800
> >
> > To make sure that info pages contain information on memset I found one with C-h i, in entry:
> > * Libc: (libc).                 C library.
> >
> > That's it
> >
> >  -- Function: void * memset (void *BLOCK, int C, size_t SIZE)
> >      This function copies the value of C (converted to an `unsigned
> >      char') into each of the first SIZE bytes of the object beginning
> >      at BLOCK.  It returns the value of BLOCK.
> >
> [...]
> Regarding Info-lookup, it could be something that's not supported on
> your system.  It's a GNU Libc feature.

??? But Pawel explicitly shows (above) that he does have the GNU Libc
manual installed on his system.  What other dependency on GNU Libc
could possibly defeat this feature on his system?

@ 2006-12-15 14:29         ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-12-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
>> Date: 15 Dec 2006 05:07:53 -0800
>> >
>> > To make sure that info pages contain information on memset I found one with C-h i, in entry:
>> > * Libc: (libc).                 C library.
>> >
>> > That's it
>> >
>> >  -- Function: void * memset (void *BLOCK, int C, size_t SIZE)
>> >      This function copies the value of C (converted to an `unsigned
>> >      char') into each of the first SIZE bytes of the object beginning
>> >      at BLOCK.  It returns the value of BLOCK.
>> >
>> [...]
>> Regarding Info-lookup, it could be something that's not supported on
>> your system.  It's a GNU Libc feature.
>
> ??? But Pawel explicitly shows (above) that he does have the GNU Libc
> manual installed on his system.  What other dependency on GNU Libc
> could possibly defeat this feature on his system?

In Ubuntu there are two installs : man or info. Both cant be there for
some reason due a discrepancy in install locations. I had to uninstall
the glibc man pages before I could install the info ones.

@ 2006-12-15 14:32         ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1923.1166198534.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-15 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> > Date: 15 Dec 2006 05:07:53 -0800
> > >
> > > To make sure that info pages contain information on memset I found one with C-h i, in entry:
> > > * Libc: (libc).                 C library.
> > >
> > > That's it
> > >
> > >  -- Function: void * memset (void *BLOCK, int C, size_t SIZE)
> > >      This function copies the value of C (converted to an `unsigned
> > >      char') into each of the first SIZE bytes of the object beginning
> > >      at BLOCK.  It returns the value of BLOCK.
> > >
> > [...]
> > Regarding Info-lookup, it could be something that's not supported on
> > your system.  It's a GNU Libc feature.
>
> ??? But Pawel explicitly shows (above) that he does have the GNU Libc
> manual installed on his system.

Not necessarily.  There are at least two libc manuals in info format,
the GNUlibc one and the Redhat Cygwin one.  That manual also doesn't
work with C-h C-i.

>  What other dependency on GNU Libc
> could possibly defeat this feature on his system?

The dir file could contain the entry, but there could be no info file.

* Re: Finding a easy way for prototype tipping
@ 2006-12-15 16:02           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.1923.1166198534.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-15 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> Date: 15 Dec 2006 06:32:43 -0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> > > Date: 15 Dec 2006 05:07:53 -0800

> > > [...]
> > > Regarding Info-lookup, it could be something that's not supported on
> > > your system.  It's a GNU Libc feature.
> >
> > ??? But Pawel explicitly shows (above) that he does have the GNU Libc
> > manual installed on his system.
>
> Not necessarily.  There are at least two libc manuals in info format,
> the GNUlibc one and the Redhat Cygwin one.  That manual also doesn't
> work with C-h C-i.

But look above: the DIR entry clearly shows it's the GNU Libc.  And
"C-h i" does work with it, as Pawel said.

Anyway, I don't understand how can the Cygwin version not work.  Emacs
doesn't assume anything about the libc manual, all it needs is the
index.  Are you saying that the Cygwin version of libc docs doesn't
have an index?  If so, it's not the GNU Libc manual.  (IIRC, Cygwin
uses newlib, not glibc.)

> >  What other dependency on GNU Libc
> > could possibly defeat this feature on his system?
>
> The dir file could contain the entry, but there could be no info file.

Again, read the original message above: Pawel says that he verified
that he did found the memset description via "C-h i".  So I think
there's nothing wrong with his manual.

@ 2006-12-15 16:26             ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> > Date: 15 Dec 2006 06:32:43 -0800

> > > ??? But Pawel explicitly shows (above) that he does have the GNU Libc
> > > manual installed on his system.
> >
> > Not necessarily.  There are at least two libc manuals in info format,
> > the GNUlibc one and the Redhat Cygwin one.  That manual also doesn't
> > work with C-h C-i.
>
> But look above: the DIR entry clearly shows it's the GNU Libc.

I can't tell from the DIR entry alone, maybe you can.  On a Cygwin
system for example, that line reads:-
* libc: (libc).                   The ANSI C library.

>  And
> "C-h i" does work with it, as Pawel said.
>
> Anyway, I don't understand how can the Cygwin version not work.  Emacs
> doesn't assume anything about the libc manual, all it needs is the
> index.  Are you saying that the Cygwin version of libc docs doesn't
> have an index?  If so, it's not the GNU Libc manual.  (IIRC, Cygwin
> uses newlib, not glibc.)

Well I've just run Emacs21 on a Windows machine with Cygwin.  C-h i
gives the info page for the newlib C library.  C-h C-i does not work
though, I don't know why.

> > >  What other dependency on GNU Libc
> > > could possibly defeat this feature on his system?
> >
> > The dir file could contain the entry, but there could be no info file.
>
> Again, read the original message above: Pawel says that he verified
> that he did found the memset description via "C-h i".  So I think
> there's nothing wrong with his manual.

Good point.  I don't know what's wrong.

@ 2006-12-15 18:07             ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-15 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2006-12-15 18:46             ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-12-15 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-16 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> Date: 15 Dec 2006 08:26:55 -0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > From: "Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com>
> > > Date: 15 Dec 2006 06:32:43 -0800

> > [...]
> > But look above: the DIR entry clearly shows it's the GNU Libc.
>
> I can't tell from the DIR entry alone, maybe you can.  On a Cygwin
> system for example, that line reads:-
> * libc: (libc).                   The ANSI C library.

Exactly.  The "* Libc: (libc).                 C Library" entry is
from GNU Libc, while the Cygwin library has a different entry.

> Well I've just run Emacs21 on a Windows machine with Cygwin.  C-h i
> gives the info page for the newlib C library.  C-h C-i does not work
> though, I don't know why.

Does the Cygwin libc manual have an index?  Are there any error
messages from Emacs?

> > > The dir file could contain the entry, but there could be no info file.
> >
> > Again, read the original message above: Pawel says that he verified
> > that he did found the memset description via "C-h i".  So I think
> > there's nothing wrong with his manual.
>
> Good point.  I don't know what's wrong.

I think nothing's wrong with the manual.  I cannot get Emacs 21.4 to
DTRT with "C-h C-i" on my machine as well, although I _know_ the glibc
manual is installed and reachable.  So I think this is a bug in Emacs
21.x that is fixed in Emacs 22.