* Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key  combo?)
@ 2008-11-28  7:30 seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-11-28  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There seems to be some special use for C-m as I cannot rebind it to a
function of my choosing like start-kbd-macro.

Is there anyway to make C-m into a "normal" combo I can bind like all
the others?

chris

* Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key combo?)
@ 2008-11-28  9:42 ` Xend
From: Xend @ 2008-11-28  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 28, 3:30 pm, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"
<seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> There seems to be some special use for C-m as I cannot rebind it to a
> function of my choosing like start-kbd-macro.
>
> Is there anyway to make C-m into a "normal" combo I can bind like all
> the others?
>
> chris

you can try "(global-set-key (kbd "C-m") function)"????

* Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key combo?)
@ 2008-11-28 14:04 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2008-11-28 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 27, 11:30 pm, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"
<seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> There seems to be some special use for C-m as I cannot rebind it to a
> function of my choosing like start-kbd-macro.
>
> Is there anyway to make C-m into a "normal" combo I can bind like all
> the others?

there are ways but that gets into pretty hairy emacs customization.

Ctrl+m is same as Enter in emacs. Best to avoid rebinding it.
Similar is Ctrl+i and Tab key.

The reason it's like that is because emacs's history, namely the
ascii.

Note also, by default, starting/ending keyboard macro is F2 and F3.
For a visual layout, see:

• Emacs's Keybinding Layout
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_kb_shortcuts.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key combo?)
@ 2008-11-28 19:43   ` seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-11-28 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 28, 6:04 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 11:30 pm, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"
>
> <seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> > There seems to be some special use for C-m as I cannot rebind it to a
> > function of my choosing like start-kbd-macro.
>
> > Is there anyway to make C-m into a "normal" combo I can bind like all
> > the others?
>
> there are ways but that gets into pretty hairy emacs customization.
>
> Ctrl+m is same as Enter in emacs. Best to avoid rebinding it.
> Similar is Ctrl+i and Tab key.

Thanks.  If someone had done the work already I'd still like to do it.
Why? C-i is sooo natural for an insert function and C-m is sooo
natural for a macro function.

Chris

* Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key combo?)
@ 2008-11-28 20:18     ` Joost Diepenmaat
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-11-28 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> Thanks.  If someone had done the work already I'd still like to do it.
> Why? C-i is sooo natural for an insert function and C-m is sooo
> natural for a macro function.

I think Xah already alluded to the reasons: C-i is TAB in most
terminals, and C-m is ENTER.

* Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key    combo?)
@ 2008-11-28 23:08     ` Andreas Politz
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1512.1227983509.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-11-28 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> On Nov 28, 6:04 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 27, 11:30 pm, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"
>>
>> <seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
>>> There seems to be some special use for C-m as I cannot rebind it to a
>>> function of my choosing like start-kbd-macro.
>>> Is there anyway to make C-m into a "normal" combo I can bind like all
>>> the others?
>> there are ways but that gets into pretty hairy emacs customization.
>>
>> Ctrl+m is same as Enter in emacs. Best to avoid rebinding it.
>> Similar is Ctrl+i and Tab key.
>
> Thanks.  If someone had done the work already I'd still like to do it.
> Why? C-i is sooo natural for an insert function and C-m is sooo
> natural for a macro function.
>
> Chris

You can do it, at least in a windowed emacs:

(global-set-key [return]
		#'(lambda nil (interactive)
		    (message "This is RETURN.")))

(global-set-key [13]
		#'(lambda nil (interactive)
		    (message "This is C-m.")))
;; undo
(progn
   (global-unset-key [return])
   (global-set-key [13] 'newline))

The problem, I think, is that most libraries end up
binding C-m and not [return] (likewise for C-i and [tab]).
So you have to always rebind after some mode has stolen
the C-m key (to [return]).

-ap

* Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key combo?)
@ 2008-11-29 18:31     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1512.1227983509.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-11-29 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> Why? C-i is sooo natural for an insert function and C-m is sooo
> natural for a macro function.

`C-c i' and `C-c m' might be better:

,---- File: emacs,  Node: Rebinding,  Next: Init Rebinding,  Prev:
Minibuffer Maps,  Up: Key Bindings

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-11-29 20:39       ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2008-11-29 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 29, 10:31 am, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> seber...@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> > Why? C-i is sooo natural for an insert function and C-m is sooo
> > natural for a macro function.
>
> `C-c i' and `C-c m' might be better:
>
> ,---- File: emacs,  Node: Rebinding,  Next: Init Rebinding,  Prev:
> Minibuffer Maps,  Up: Key Bindings
> |
> |    The two-character keys consisting of `C-c' followed by a letter are
> | reserved for user customizations.  Lisp programs are not supposed to
> | define these keys, so the bindings you make for them will be available
> | in all major modes and will never get in the way of anything.
> `----

This, although being emacs's canon, but perhaps it is not a good thing
to spread, because C-c is the modern standard for Coping text, used by
Windows, Mac, Linux.

Emacs 23 by default now supports text selection highlighting, although
not CUA mode. Spreading C-c will make it more painful if emacs is to
change on this in the future.

just today i'm reaing about Google Chrome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome
you can see that there are a lot innovations, which by definition
means a lot of breaking “old ways”. Emacs is pretty much remained the
old ways all the way back to 1980s. Some of the old ways are
technically superior, but not all.