* Emacs23.3: can't get w3m-el-snapshot to install to appropriate path
@ 2011-03-23 20:19 Dylan
From: Dylan @ 2011-03-23 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I recently tried installing emacs-w3m (development version) from
source using the "./configure - make - make install" sequence.

Since I have more than one emacs lisp directory installed (GNU emacs
21 in directory /usr/share/emacs, GNU emacs 23 directory in /opt/local/
share/emacs/, and Cocoa Emacs in /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents), I
explicitly configured file using --with-addpath option, such that "./
configure --with-addpath=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents".

However, upon verifying the install with "make what-where", make only
wants to install in the path where emacs21 is installed (/usr/share/
emacs). To work around this, I tried removing emacs 21 completely,
running make again, and this time it recognized /opt/local/share/emacs
as the install path. Am I missing something here? How can I get make
to recognize and install to the Cocoa Emacs directory?

Thanks,
Dylan

* Re: Emacs23.3: can't get w3m-el-snapshot to install to appropriate path
@ 2011-03-23 21:00 ` Tim X
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim X @ 2011-03-23 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dylan <crazy808s@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I recently tried installing emacs-w3m (development version) from
> source using the "./configure - make - make install" sequence.
>
> Since I have more than one emacs lisp directory installed (GNU emacs
> 21 in directory /usr/share/emacs, GNU emacs 23 directory in /opt/local/
> share/emacs/, and Cocoa Emacs in /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents), I
> explicitly configured file using --with-addpath option, such that "./
> configure --with-addpath=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents".
>
> However, upon verifying the install with "make what-where", make only
> wants to install in the path where emacs21 is installed (/usr/share/
> emacs). To work around this, I tried removing emacs 21 completely,
> running make again, and this time it recognized /opt/local/share/emacs
> as the install path. Am I missing something here? How can I get make
> to recognize and install to the Cocoa Emacs directory?
>
> Thanks,
> Dylan

Most configure scripts support the --prefix argument, which allows you
to specify the root of the installation tree. Does the w3 configure
script support that? (./configure -help may list available options).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Emacs23.3: can't get w3m-el-snapshot to install to appropriate path
@ 2011-03-23 21:57 ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2011-03-23 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
Dylan <crazy808s@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently tried installing emacs-w3m (development version) from
>source using the "./configure - make - make install" sequence.
>
>Since I have more than one emacs lisp directory installed (GNU emacs
>21 in directory /usr/share/emacs, GNU emacs 23 directory in /opt/local/
>share/emacs/, and Cocoa Emacs in /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents), I
>explicitly configured file using --with-addpath option, such that "./
>configure --with-addpath=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents".
>
>However, upon verifying the install with "make what-where", make only
>wants to install in the path where emacs21 is installed (/usr/share/
>emacs). To work around this, I tried removing emacs 21 completely,
>running make again, and this time it recognized /opt/local/share/emacs
>as the install path. Am I missing something here? How can I get make
>to recognize and install to the Cocoa Emacs directory?

Hmm, have you tried:

./configure --emacs=/full/path/bin/emacs

-Herbert

* Re: Emacs23.3: can't get w3m-el-snapshot to install to appropriate path
@ 2011-03-23 21:58 ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2011-03-23 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2011-03-23 22:12   ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2011-03-23 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:57:32 +0100
"Herbert J. Skuhra" <hskuhra@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Hmm, have you tried:
>
>./configure --emacs=/full/path/bin/emacs

Damn, sorry for the double post and the above line should be:

./configure --with-emacs=/full/path/bin/emacs

-Herbert

* Re: Emacs23.3: can't get w3m-el-snapshot to install to appropriate path
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-03-23 23:11 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-03-23 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dylan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.03.2011 um 21:19 schrieb Dylan:

> How can I get make to recognize and install to the Cocoa Emacs
> directory?

Try to follow Herbert's suggestion with

	./configure --with-emacs=/full/path/bin/emacs

and the full path being something like:

	/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

This binary inside the APP package is actually what is being executed.
And you can invoke it on the command line as for example:

	/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs --help

--
Greetings

   Pete

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
				– Isaac Asimov