* Using several window systems
@ 2009-11-14  7:51 Peder Refsnes
       [not found] ` <mailman.10734.1258247996.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peder Refsnes @ 2009-11-14  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

On my system, a mac, I have compiled emacs to use the X window manager. I use a tilling manager called AwesomeWM to handle the window placement which I find to be better than floating cocoa windows, most of the time.

It would be nice if I was able to start an emacsclient that hooks into the running server and makes a cocoa frame. Use case would be if I'm having a quick look at a README file or the like, but also be able to reach the buffers in my "main" emacs instance. So what I'm basically asking is: Is it's possible to have two different window systems connect to an emacs server?

Peder

* Re: Using several window systems
@ 2009-11-15  1:19 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.10734.1258247996.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-15  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peder Refsnes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.11.2009 um 08:51 schrieb Peder Refsnes:

> So what I'm basically asking is: Is it's possible to have two
> different window systems connect to an emacs server?

This is default behaviour. But you'll only get either an NS or an X11
frame, depending on whether the Emacs server is NS or X11 based. No
mix-up!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Theory and practice are the same, in theory, but, in practice, they
are different.

@ 2009-11-15  4:27   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-11-15  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> So what I'm basically asking is: Is it's possible to have two different
>> window systems connect to an emacs server?
> This is default behaviour. But you'll only get either an NS or an X11 frame,
> depending on whether the Emacs server is NS or X11 based. No  mix-up!

BTW, there is no fundamental reason why Emacs can't have both X11 and
an NS (or w32) frames simultaneously opened.  If someone's interested in
working on such a feature, he's welcome to try and help,

* Re: Using several window systems
@ 2009-11-15 10:41   ` Peder Refsnes
From: Peder Refsnes @ 2009-11-15 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ok.

Might this be implemented at some point? Or does the technical issues out weight the usefulness of such a feature? Can't picture there being allot of demand for such a feature.

Peder

@ 2009-11-15 12:33     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-15 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peder Refsnes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.11.2009 um 11:41 schrieb Peder Refsnes:

> Might this be implemented at some point?

It would be a bit difficult... (How difficult is for you to explain
why you need this feature and can't live with two or three GNU Emacs
running on your system? Is your system a restricted mobile phone or
such?)

You need food and water to work, GNU Emacs needs library functions to
work. You can live from dead animals and dead plants, no way for you
to live from solar energy, electricity, ionising radiation, mineral
oil and natural gas (like a bivalent car), methane, hydrogen, sulfur
compounds.

GNU Emacs can live from GNOME/GTK, X11/Xaw3d, GNUStep/OPENSTEP,
"Aqua," "Carbon," AppKit, Motif... It should work to integrate an
abstraction layer to help decide which library function of the same
API name, which Look And Feel is to be used. And modern computers
have large disks and vast memory, a 1 GB GNU Emacs should work in
such an environment.

It's also possible that in a world of multi-core CPUs once a GNU
Emacs service will run on a dedicated core offering this or that Look
And Feel.

--
Greetings

   Pete

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
None.
They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.