* emacs translations
@ 2003-08-30 19:36 Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2003-08-30 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

It would be usefull (for proselytism...) to have Emacs speak not only
english. Have you ever heard of a translation project ? What is the
gurus position on this subject ?

Thanks for your attention.
--
Matthias

* Re: emacs translations
@ 2003-08-31  7:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1338.1062316815.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-08-31  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Matthias Meulien <cimosque@free.fr>
> Date: 30 Aug 2003 21:36:18 +0200
>
> It would be usefull (for proselytism...) to have Emacs speak not only
> english. Have you ever heard of a translation project ? What is the
> gurus position on this subject ?

The gurus position on this is that it would be wonderful to have Emacs
speak in other languages, but it's a large project, which needs
volunteers to step forward to do the job.

There are several issues that make Emacs a harder nut than other
programs, in this respect: the fact that messages are in Lisp as well
as in C, and the fact that Emacs itself supports many character sets,
among others.

You can search the archives of the emacs-devel mailing list for
discussions on this matter, for more details.

* Re: emacs translations
       [not found] ` <mailman.1338.1062316815.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-31 14:52   ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-08-31 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>> From: Matthias Meulien <cimosque@free.fr>
>> Date: 30 Aug 2003 21:36:18 +0200
>>
>> It would be usefull (for proselytism...) to have Emacs speak not only
>> english. Have you ever heard of a translation project ? What is the
>> gurus position on this subject ?
>
> The gurus position on this is that it would be wonderful to have Emacs
> speak in other languages, but it's a large project, which needs
> volunteers to step forward to do the job.
[...]

Is there already someone working on the necessary coding framework? I
already have enough on my todo-list, so I am not going to code. But
I'd love to help translating stuff to my mother tongue.

    Oliver
--
14 Fructidor an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: emacs translations
@ 2003-08-31 17:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-08-31 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:52:42 +0200
>
> Is there already someone working on the necessary coding framework?

Not that I know of, but feel free to ask on emacs-devel@gnu.org (where
such discussions belong to begin with, anyway).

* Re: emacs translations
       [not found] ` <mailman.1338.1062316815.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-01 16:19 ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2003-09-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the answers. Note that there is a project of translation of
Emacs manual in french on Savannah.
--
Matthias

* Re: emacs translations
@ 2003-09-02 19:51   ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-09-02 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Meulien <cimosque@free.fr> writes:

> Thanks for the answers. Note that there is a project of translation of
> Emacs manual in french on Savannah.

As far as documentation and community efforts go, the Emacs Wiki at
http://www.emacswiki.org/ tries very hard to be as multilingual as
possible.  We already have a few pages in German, (traditional)
Chinese, Russian, Spanish, etc.

Alex.
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/