From: Jason Earl <jearl@xmission.com>
Subject: Re: vim mode for emacs?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:30:42 -0700	[thread overview]

Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:47:09PM +0000, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>

>> There are some config variables that set which mode is active for
>> which file type.
>>

> Sorry if this sounds dumb (I am new to emacs), but I will need both
> modes--if that is at all possible. In other words, I will want to
> use the powerful XML mode--only available on emacs and recomended by
> the TEI group--but I would like to be able to move the cursor by
> means of vim-like key bindings.
>
> Paul

That's not a dumb question at all.  Clearly the whole point of using
Emacs in some sort of vi-emulation mode is that you want to be able to
use the Emacs' cool text editing modes while still retaining vi
emulation.

You can definitely run viper and nxml modes at the same time (just
tried it).  In fact, viper appears to effectively hijack your emacs
session.  Once I run viper-mode I get viper mode pretty much
everywhere.

So just open up an xml file (emacs myfile.xml) and then type in M-x
viper-mode, it will probably do what you want.  You might need to type
in M-x nxml-mode to make sure you get the nxml-mode instead of the
older xml-mode, but there are quite a few ways to control what mode
gets used (which is probably what the original author was talking
about).  Spend a little time in "info viper" for more information.

Jason