* emacs 23 and german chars
@ 2007-05-24 22:22 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-05-24 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Since moving to emacs 23, german characters are not displayed and I cant
type them. Nothing changed in my .emacs.

I see all sorts of escape sequences now e.g

\223s in the middle of posts/articles.

Where do I start to address this?

* Re: emacs 23 and german chars
@ 2007-05-24 22:29 ` Hadron
       [not found] ` <mailman.1213.1180071589.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron @ 2007-05-24 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Since moving to emacs 23, german characters are not displayed and I cant
> type them. Nothing changed in my .emacs.
>
> I see all sorts of escape sequences now e.g
>
> \223s in the middle of posts/articles.
>
> Where do I start to address this?

ok, its not a font problem. C-x 8 C-h revealed

C-x 8 ` U	Ù

But why does emacs not insert the proper accented character when I press
that key on the keyboard anymore?

* Re: emacs 23 and german chars
@ 2007-05-25  5:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1213.1180071589.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-25  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 00:22:28 +0200
>

> Since moving to emacs 23, german characters are not displayed and I cant
> type them. Nothing changed in my .emacs.
>
> I see all sorts of escape sequences now e.g
>
> \223s in the middle of posts/articles.
>
> Where do I start to address this?

Try "emacs -Q" and see if it helps.  If it does, something in your
.emacs is incompatible with Emacs 23.

If "emacs -Q" exhibits the same problem, I suggest to take this to
emacs-devel@gnu.org, since Emacs 23 is still in its infancy, and only
its active developers can help you efficiently.

* Re: emacs 23 and german chars
       [not found] ` <mailman.1213.1180071589.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-25  8:02   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-05-25  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 00:22:28 +0200
>>

>> Since moving to emacs 23, german characters are not displayed and I cant
>> type them. Nothing changed in my .emacs.
>>
>> I see all sorts of escape sequences now e.g
>>
>> \223s in the middle of posts/articles.
>>
>> Where do I start to address this?
>
> Try "emacs -Q" and see if it helps.  If it does, something in your
> .emacs is incompatible with Emacs 23.
>
> If "emacs -Q" exhibits the same problem, I suggest to take this to
> emacs-devel@gnu.org, since Emacs 23 is still in its infancy, and only
> its active developers can help you efficiently.

Thanks Eli - in emacs -Q, it works fine.