* Looking up the source of a builtin function (subroutine)
@ 2008-11-03 13:47 Nordlöw
       [not found] ` <mailman.2778.1225728006.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-11-03 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do I lookup the C source file for a builtin function (sub-routine)
like symbol-file() does for emacs lisp?

/Nordlöw

* Re: Looking up the source of a builtin function (subroutine)
@ 2008-11-03 15:59 ` Paul R
       [not found] ` <mailman.2778.1225728006.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul R @ 2008-11-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw> How do I lookup the C source file for a builtin function
Nordlöw> (sub-routine) like symbol-file() does for emacs lisp?

I assume you want to do so interactively, then :

C-h f your-function-name RET

You will need to have emacs sources installed, obviously. If you did not
build emacs from source, you probably have to find a package that
provides them.

--
  Paul

@ 2008-11-03 16:03   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-11-03 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3 Nov, 16:59, Paul R <paul.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nordlöw> How do I lookup the C source file for a builtin function
> Nordlöw> (sub-routine) like symbol-file() does for emacs lisp?
>
> I assume you want to do so interactively, then :
>
> C-h f your-function-name RET
>
> You will need to have emacs sources installed, obviously. If you did not
> build emacs from source, you probably have to find a package that
> provides them.
>
> --
>   Paul

How do I do it from emacs lisp code?

@ 2008-11-03 16:25     ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-11-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> On 3 Nov, 16:59, Paul R <paul.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nordlöw> How do I lookup the C source file for a builtin function
>> Nordlöw> (sub-routine) like symbol-file() does for emacs lisp?
>>
>> I assume you want to do so interactively, then :
>>
>> C-h f your-function-name RET
>>
>> You will need to have emacs sources installed, obviously. If you did not
>> build emacs from source, you probably have to find a package that
>> provides them.
>>
>> --
>>   Paul
>
> How do I do it from emacs lisp code?

Looking at the source for describe-function and describe-function-1:

(find-lisp-object-file-name 'car (symbol-function 'car))

replace 'car with any symbol denoting a function