* `rgrep' not working
@ 2014-11-30 17:47 Massimo Gengarelli
From: Massimo Gengarelli @ 2014-11-30 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Dears,

I'm actually using `GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS
appkit-1343.16 Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B23)) of 2014-11-23 on
napi.home' on Mac OS X (Yosemite) and I am having a little issue with
the `rgrep' command which is not working.

Everytime I try to run it, I receive a weird error like:
`Symbol's function definition is void: \,'

Please note that `grep-find', `lgrep' and `ag' are all working properly.
I am not using any weird plugin for grep, and the issue is reproducible
even without loading my init.el file (i.e., running emacs -Q).

Since I'm quite a newbie with Emacs, could you please help me in
debugging?  I thought that rgrep was an user-friendly version of
`grep-find', but I think I was wrong since the latter is working. :-)

I also tried the following:

> C-h f rgrep
> With C-u prefix, you can edit the constructed shell command line
> before it is executed.
> With two C-u prefixes, directly edit and run `grep-find-command'.

But apparently the issue is at an higher level as I am not able to edit
the constructed shell command line.  The two C-u prefixes are working
fine though.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks and regards,
--
Massimo Gengarelli
M: +33 (0)6 43 87 57 67

* Re: `rgrep' not working
       [not found] <mailman.15015.1417377202.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-12-01  2:17 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-12-01  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Massimo Gengarelli <massimo.gengarelli@gmail.com>
writes:

> Everytime I try to run it, I receive a weird error
> like: `Symbol's function definition is void: \,'

What input do you give it? (When the prompt says
"Search for (something): ", what do you type before
you hit RET?)

> Please note that `grep-find', `lgrep' and `ag' are
> all working properly. I am not using any weird
> plugin for grep, and the issue is reproducible even
> without loading my init.el file (i.e., running emacs
> -Q).

If you provide us with more information, we'll try to
reproduce it as well :)

> Since I'm quite a newbie with Emacs, could you
> please help me in debugging? I thought that rgrep
> was an user-friendly version of `grep-find', but I
> think I was wrong since the latter is working. :-)

I don't think that is it. `rgrep' has another
interface. The "r" is either "recursive" or, more
likely, "regular expression" or "regexp" as it is
called in the help for rgrep. Which I think is the key
to your problem, because you probably gave it some
strange input which isn't interpreted literally.

> I also tried the following:
>
>> C-h f rgrep With C-u prefix, you can edit the
>> constructed shell command line before it is
>> executed. With two C-u prefixes, directly edit and
>> run `grep-find-command'.

Meta: It is a good idea to find some other way to
quote arbitrary material, because that which you just
used will be interpreted as a citation from a previous
poster and by some clients even hidden by default.

> But apparently the issue is at an higher level as I
> am not able to edit the constructed shell command
> line. The two C-u prefixes are working fine though.
>
> Is there something I am missing?

I think so: again, what input do you give it? I think
if you tell us that the problem will be instantly
solved :)

--
underground experts united

* Re: `rgrep' not working
@ 2014-12-01  7:29 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2014-12-01  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Massimo Gengarelli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Massimo Gengarelli (2014-11-30 20:47 +0300) wrote:

> Dears,
>
> I'm actually using `GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS
> appkit-1343.16 Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B23)) of 2014-11-23 on
> napi.home' on Mac OS X (Yosemite) and I am having a little issue with
> the `rgrep' command which is not working.
>
> Everytime I try to run it, I receive a weird error like:
> `Symbol's function definition is void: \,'

[...]

It's a bug and it was fixed several days ago:
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19171>.

--
Alex

* Re: `rgrep' not working
@ 2014-12-01  9:03   ` Massimo Gengarelli
From: Massimo Gengarelli @ 2014-12-01  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Alex Kost writes:

> It's a bug and it was fixed several days ago:
> <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19171>.

Thanks a lot !
I should have tried the latest sources before sending the message :-)

  mg