* Tips for upgrading emacs
@ 2023-10-30 23:27 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2023-10-30 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MLEmacs

After using emacs for a quarter-century I am now retired.
Even tho' I no longer use emacs daily, I rely on it intermittently
thus I tend to forget certain things that I would retain if emacs
were still my daily driver.

Lately, I have frequently had issues following recent upgrades.
For instance, certain (but perhaps not all) packages need to be
byte-compiled
for the new version lest errors be introduced.

Can others reading this contribute any tips for things to do after
upgrading emacs?

Thanks

--
Tim
thjmmj15@gmail.com

* Re: Tips for upgrading emacs
@ 2023-10-31  3:19 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2023-10-31  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson; +Cc: MLEmacs

> Can others reading this contribute any tips for things to do after
> upgrading emacs?

The one and only "must do" that I've found is to go to
/usr/share/emacs/29.1/lisp (substitute new version for 29.1)
and 'sudo rm -Rf org'.

This is because I get the latest org from the package manager
and having a mixed installation is a problem.  So this is not
required if you just want to use the org version as delivered
with the new emacs version.

Generally if you keep your elisp packages up to date you
shouldn't have a problem.  Even then, elisp is backward
compatible.  I'm sure there are edge cases and exceptions but
I've never had to do much of anything when upgrading emacs,
which in any case for me is not frequent as I don't stay
bleeding edge.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: Tips for upgrading emacs
@ 2023-10-31 17:13   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2023-10-31 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: MLEmacs

On 10/30/23 7:19 PM, Bob Newell wrote:
>> Can others reading this contribute any tips for things to do after
>> upgrading emacs?
> The one and only "must do" that I've found is to go to
> /usr/share/emacs/29.1/lisp (substitute new version for 29.1)
> and 'sudo rm -Rf org'.
>
> This is because I get the latest org from the package manager
> and having a mixed installation is a problem.  So this is not
> required if you just want to use the org version as delivered
> with the new emacs version.
>
> Generally if you keep your elisp packages up to date you
> shouldn't have a problem.  Even then, elisp is backward
> compatible.  I'm sure there are edge cases and exceptions but
> I've never had to do much of anything when upgrading emacs,
> which in any case for me is not frequent as I don't stay
> bleeding edge.

Thanks Bob. Drew Adams offers the following advice in his
help-fns+ package:
;;    Note: As of Emacs 24.4, byte-compiling this file in one Emacs
;;    version and using the compiled file in another Emacs version
;;    does not work.

Forgetting his advice has caused me headaches.

Would it be reasonable to run byte-compile against all installed packages
after an upgrade?
cheers

--
Tim
thjmmj15@gmail.com

* Re: Tips for upgrading emacs
@ 2023-10-31 22:04     ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2023-10-31 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson, Bob Newell; +Cc: MLEmacs

Hi Tim,
* Tim Johnson <thjmmj15@gmail.com> [2023-10-31; 09:13 -08]:
> Would it be reasonable to run byte-compile against all installed packages
> after an upgrade?

yes, there is command package-recompile-all to do exactly that.

Ciao; Gregor