* emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode
@ 2007-07-24  2:48 ryofurue
From: ryofurue @ 2007-07-24  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

After switching from emacs21 to emacs22, I lost the command
iso-accents-mode :

   M-x iso-a<TAB> [No match]

The emacs info still says "`M-x iso-accents-mode' enables a
minor mode [. . .]".   How can I get back the functionality?
I'm using the testing distribution of Debian GNU/Linux.

Thank you,
Ryo

* Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode
@ 2007-07-24 11:27 ` Daniel Jensen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3857.1185278500.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-07-24 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ryofurue@gmail.com writes:

> After switching from emacs21 to emacs22, I lost the command
> iso-accents-mode :

It's obsolete (see the NEWS file), but it's still distributed with Emacs
22. You have to add (require 'iso-acc) to your init file if you want to
continue to use it.

* Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode
@ 2007-07-24 12:03   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3857.1185278500.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-24 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: daniel@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:27:17 +0200
>
> ryofurue@gmail.com writes:
>
> > After switching from emacs21 to emacs22, I lost the command
> > iso-accents-mode :
>
> It's obsolete (see the NEWS file), but it's still distributed with Emacs
> 22. You have to add (require 'iso-acc) to your init file if you want to
> continue to use it.

Yeah, and I urge you not to use it.  Why do you need it, anyway?  It's
quite possible that the same functionality is available in core Emacs
(or else the package won't be obsoleted).

@ 2007-07-24 13:29     ` ryofurue
From: ryofurue @ 2007-07-24 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 24, 2:03 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
[. . .]
> > > After switching from emacs21 to emacs22, I lost the command
> > > iso-accents-mode :
>
> > It's obsolete (see the NEWS file), but it's still distributed with Emacs
> > 22. You have to add (require 'iso-acc) to your init file if you want to
> > continue to use it.

Thanks for your quick responses, and please bear with me; I'm not
familiar with where to look for information such as this.  I googled
with keywords "emacs 22 iso-accents-mode" but found no relevant
information.  I read the "emacs" entry of info on my emacs22 and
found a statement that you can input European accented characters with
"M-x iso-accents-mode" .  Then, how can I know that iso-accents-mode
is obsolete?

> Yeah, and I urge you not to use it.  Why do you need it, anyway?

Umm,  I occasionally need to input German and French accented
characters,
although I use English 99.5% of the time.  I don't care whether the
functionality is provided by iso-accents-mode or by some other
mechanism
as long as it's simple to use.  I just need the capability.

>  It's
> quite possible that the same functionality is available in core Emacs
> (or else the package won't be obsoleted).

And, the alternative is . . . ?  I looked into the NEWS file of
emacs22,
but I didn't find any mention to iso-accents-mode:

  $ egrep -i accents /usr/share/doc/emacs22-common/etc/NEWS
  $

I might have been looking at a wrong file. . . .

Cheers,

@ 2007-07-24 17:59       ` Daniel Jensen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3903.1185303395.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-07-24 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ryofurue@gmail.com writes:

>   I read the "emacs" entry of info on my emacs22 and
> found a statement that you can input European accented characters with
> "M-x iso-accents-mode" .  Then, how can I know that iso-accents-mode
> is obsolete?

Perhaps you're using an old version of the Emacs manual? I can't find
iso-accents-mode mentioned anywhere in the current manual or FAQ.

> And, the alternative is . . . ?  I looked into the NEWS file of
> emacs22,
> but I didn't find any mention to iso-accents-mode:
>
>   $ egrep -i accents /usr/share/doc/emacs22-common/etc/NEWS
>   $
>
> I might have been looking at a wrong file. . . .

Assuming the NEWS file is up to date, it's in the "Obsolete and deleted
packages" section:

    iso-acc.el is now obsolete.  Use one of the latin input methods
    instead.

To select an input method, use C-\ (toggle-input-method). I believe
latin-1-prefix is the closest to iso-accents-mode.

* Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode
@ 2007-07-24 18:56       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3903.1185303395.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-07-24 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Umm,  I occasionally need to input German and French accented
> characters,
> although I use English 99.5% of the time.  I don't care whether the
> functionality is provided by iso-accents-mode or by some other
> mechanism
> as long as it's simple to use.  I just need the capability.
>
> >  It's
> > quite possible that the same functionality is available in core Emacs
> > (or else the package won't be obsoleted).
>
> And, the alternative is . . . ?

Two alternatives, actually:

 . Activate a suitable input method ("C-\" or "C-u C-\").  "C-h C-\"
   will show help on how to use an input method to type accented
   characters.

 . Load iso-transl, and then use the ALT modifier (if it exists) or
   "C-x 8" together with an accent character to modify the following
   letter.  "C-x 8 C-h" will list all available translations.  This
   works for Latin-1 only, but that seems to be your case.

> I looked into the NEWS file of emacs22, but I didn't find any
> mention to iso-accents-mode:
>
>   $ egrep -i accents /usr/share/doc/emacs22-common/etc/NEWS
>   $

Wrong search string, the package's name is iso-acc:

@ 2007-07-24 23:25         ` ryofurue
From: ryofurue @ 2007-07-24 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 24, 7:59 am, dan...@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen) wrote:
> ryofu...@gmail.com writes:
> >   I read the "emacs" entry of info on my emacs22 and
> > found a statement that you can input European accented characters with
> > "M-x iso-accents-mode" .  Then, how can I know that iso-accents-mode
> > is obsolete?
>
> Perhaps you're using an old version of the Emacs manual? I can't find
> iso-accents-mode mentioned anywhere in the current manual or FAQ.

You are quite right!  I've just found out that I was reading the info
of emacs 21.  I was forgetting that you need to install info pages
separately on a Debian system,  because of an "issue" about
document licensing.  (Debian doesn't think the license of GNU
docs conform to the Debian's notion of freeness.)

> Assuming the NEWS file is up to date, it's in the "Obsolete and deleted
> packages" section:
>
>     iso-acc.el is now obsolete.  Use one of the latin input methods
>     instead.

Thanks.  I've confirmed that.

> To select an input method, use C-\ (toggle-input-method). I believe
> latin-1-prefix is the closest to iso-accents-mode.

Thanks again.  That works, and as you say, it's the same as
(or at least very similar to) iso-accents-mode.

@ 2007-07-24 23:33         ` ryofurue
From: ryofurue @ 2007-07-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 24, 8:56 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:

> Two alternatives, actually:
>
>  . Activate a suitable input method ("C-\" or "C-u C-\").  "C-h C-\"
>    will show help on how to use an input method to type accented
>    characters.
>
>  . Load iso-transl, and then use the ALT modifier (if it exists) or
>    "C-x 8" together with an accent character to modify the following
>    letter.  "C-x 8 C-h" will list all available translations.  This
>    works for Latin-1 only, but that seems to be your case.

Thanks!  I've tested both methods.  I found that if you need just
a few accented characters, the latter method is quite adequate.
The former is suitable when you type more than a few accented
characters in a paragraph, say.  To use this, however, I need to
find out a way to quickly switch back and forth between my
default input method (japanese-anthy-uim) and latin-1-prefix.
(Not that I write Japanese all the time.  I occasinally send
Japanese email messages, and that's when I need the
Japanese input method.  So, I set it as my default.)

Thanks again,
Ryo