* adding a new info file to info index page
@ 2008-05-25 19:35 xahlee
From: xahlee @ 2008-05-25 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

about 10 years ago, in gnu emacs, if i added a new info file, i have
to mod the index file, so it shows up in the index. I recall in xemacs
its automatic or something like that.

Do i still have to do that today?

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: adding a new info file to info index page
@ 2008-05-26  2:26 ` weber
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: weber @ 2008-05-26  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 25, 4:35 pm, "xah...@gmail.com" <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> about 10 years ago, in gnu emacs, if i added a new info file, i have
> to mod the index file, so it shows up in the index. I recall in xemacs
> its automatic or something like that.
>
> Do i still have to do that today?
>
>   Xah
>   x...@xahlee.org
> ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

The answer seems to be yes. Coincidentally there was a post about that
today: http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/setting-up-and-using-emacs-infomode/

HTH
weber

* Re: adding a new info file to info index page
@ 2008-05-26  3:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.12232.1211772126.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-26  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "xahlee@gmail.com" <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 12:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
>
> about 10 years ago, in gnu emacs, if i added a new info file, i have
> to mod the index file, so it shows up in the index. I recall in xemacs
> its automatic or something like that.
>
> Do i still have to do that today?

No.  The Texinfo package comes with a program called install-info that
will do what you want: update the DIR file with the menu items for a
particular Info manual.

* Re: adding a new info file to info index page
@ 2008-05-26  3:23   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-26  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: weber <hugows@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 19:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
>
> The answer seems to be yes. Coincidentally there was a post about that
> today: http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/setting-up-and-using-emacs-infomode/

That blog is very outdated.  There's no need to do most of what it
says, and the information about Info is bundled with Emacs, in the
info.info manual.

@ 2008-05-26  5:21   ` Borked Pseudo Mailed
From: Borked Pseudo Mailed @ 2008-05-26  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You can do a little better than manually adding info files if you
are running a bash shell-

for FI in `ls /usr/info/*.info` ; do install-info -info-dir /usr/info
/usr/info/$FI  ; done

@ 2008-05-26 11:19   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-26 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "xahlee@gmail.com" <xahlee@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 12:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>> about 10 years ago, in gnu emacs, if i added a new info file, i have
>> to mod the index file, so it shows up in the index. I recall in xemacs
>> its automatic or something like that.
>>
>> Do i still have to do that today?
>
> No.  The Texinfo package comes with a program called install-info that
> will do what you want: update the DIR file with the menu items for a
> particular Info manual.

Install-info add to the dir file in a particular directory; you also
need a dir file in each directory in Info-additional-directory-list.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109

* diary: repeat scheduling problem
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.12232.1211772126.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-05-26 21:00 ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2008-05-26 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have many events which repeat weekly. I have been adding them to the
diary like this:

Tuesday 6:00pm cook dinner

The problem comes when on a particular day I am doing something that
replaces my regularly scheduled task. For example:

May 27, 2008 5:00pm-7:00pm see movie

Is there a way to "remove" repeat tasks for a particular date? Any
help gratefully appreciated.

d.

* Re: diary: repeat scheduling problem
@ 2008-05-26 23:18   ` weber
From: weber @ 2008-05-26 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 26, 6:00 pm, Daniel <danielgol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have many events which repeat weekly. I have been adding them to the
> diary like this:
>
> Tuesday 6:00pm cook dinner
>
> The problem comes when on a particular day I am doing something that
> replaces my regularly scheduled task. For example:
>
> May 27, 2008 5:00pm-7:00pm see movie
>
> Is there a way to "remove" repeat tasks for a particular date? Any
> help gratefully appreciated.
>
> d.

??? wtf?
Open a new topic man

* Re: adding a new info file to info index page
@ 2008-10-05  1:45   ` Joseph Brenner
From: Joseph Brenner @ 2008-10-05  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

weber <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> Coincidentally there was a post about that today:
>   http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/setting-up-and-using-emacs-infomode/

   Emacs has an ancient (predating hypertext), simple, powerful
   documentation program called Info.

Actually Info/texinfo most certainly is a hypertext system, what they
predate is the web and html.

   It's very difficult to find info about it online (try searching for
   "Info"), guide.

That's a point, but then there's:

   ESC x help i m Info