From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
To: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: changing from \cite{1} to \cite{MacRae,2002}
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:40:35 +0100	[thread overview]

> On Thursday, 15 May 2014 at 20:09, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> I am using latex and working on a document all in emacs. I have been
>> using the biblatex citation system with the style "numerical", but
>> now want to use "authoryear".
>> At present -
>> ╭────
>> │\usepackage[backend=biber,style=verbose,style=number]{biblatex}
>> ╰────
>>
>> What I want to use -
>> ╭────
>> │\usepackage[backend=biber,style=verbose,style=authoryear]{biblatex}
>> ╰────
>
> Does this work?  If not, what happens?
>
> The actual text inside the {} for the cite command has nothing to do
> with the form of output generated for the bibliography.  It is simply
> used by biber to find the citation you want to cite.  The format of the
> reference is controlled by the style.

After spending many hours on the bibliography I've got some
semblance of order for it.
╭────
│\usepackage[backend=biber,style=alphabetic]{biblatex} % this works
╰────
gives this in the text body
╭────
│This is despite research dating back 50 years which first proved the link between smoking and lung cancer [A54].
╰────
From this source
@Article{21,
  author = {Doll R Hill A.},
  title = {The mortality of doctors in relation to their smoking habits; a preliminary report},
  journaltitle = {British Medical Journal},
  year = {1954},
  key = {21},
  number = {4877},
  pages = {1451-1455},
}

If I run "biber uh2014" I get this
INFO - Logfile is 'uh2014.blg'
INFO - Reading 'uh2014.bcf'
INFO - Found 25 citekeys in bib section 0
INFO - Processing section 0
INFO - Looking for bibtex format file 'uh2014.bib' for section 0
INFO - Decoding LaTeX character macros into UTF-8
INFO - Found BibTeX data source 'uh2014.bib'
INFO - Overriding locale 'en_GB.UTF-8' default tailoring 'variable = shifted' with 'variable = non-ignorable'
INFO - Sorting 'entry' list 'anyt' keys
INFO - No sort tailoring available for locale 'en_GB.UTF-8'
INFO - Writing 'uh2014.bbl' with encoding 'UTF-8'
INFO - Output to uh2014.bbl

I'm using this bash script to build my pdf
#!/bin/bash
set -e
#set -x

#variables
filename="uh2014"

#############
xelatex $filename
biber $filename
biber $filename
xelatex $filename
biber $filename
xelatex $filename
makeindex $filename
makeindex $filename
xelatex $filename
makeglossaries $filename
xelatex $filename
xelatex $filename
and it is producing the output seen earlier in this mail.

So, how do I get a more worthwhile output, meaning with
"author/editor, year" please?

I've tried
% \usepackage[backend=biber,style=biblatex-chicago]{biblatex}
% \usepackage[backend=bibtex,style=harvard]{biblatex}
and in each case it says that it can't find the relevant .sty,
although if I go to
/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex-chicago I can
plainly see "biblatex-chicago.sty".

I think that there is something wrong in my work-flow, but I don't
know what it is, so if somebody can help it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1