* Swedish letters in outline-mode under GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
@ 2006-03-22  9:15 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2006-03-22  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey there, Emacs Lovers!

I have built the cvs version 22.0.50.1 of GNU Emacs on my Gentoo PC and
found it to be a real speed devil and to contain lots of new really
useful features not present in GNU Emacs 21.4 or earlier. Everything
works very well except for the following:

1. I cannot get the swedish letters (åäöÅÄÖ) to be rendered in
outline-mode, eventhough they work in text and C mode. Instead they are
drawng in another color as their octal values \366, \344 etc.

2. When I try to debug several different programs from the same Emacs
session I get the error message:
           gdb: Multiple debugging is only supported with "gdb
--fullname" [2 times]
I have tried adding the flags --fullname to the call to gdb but it does
not help. I have also tried the flag -fullname listed in the gdb manual
page but that did now work either.
Multiple debugging has always worked fine for me in GNU Emacs 21.4 and
earlier.

Many thanks in advance,

Per Nordlöw

* Re: Swedish letters in outline-mode under GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
@ 2006-03-22 10:33 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-03-22 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.03.2006 um 10:15 schrieb Nordlöw:

> 1. I cannot get the swedish letters (åäöÅÄÖ) to be rendered in
> outline-mode, eventhough they work in text and C mode. Instead they
> are
> drawng in another color as their octal values \366, \344 etc.

This could be a problem with fonts, fontsets, and environment
variables, particularly LC_CTYPE (LANG might be useful too).

In X11 it might be helpful to have some Unicode encoded TrueType
fonts, Bitstream Vera for example, Lucida from Java, the free MS
fonts for the web (containing Courier, http://
corefonts.sourceforge.net/), or others (http://www.alanwood.net/
unicode/fonts.html, http://www-cgrl.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/
fontsoftware.html, ...) available, and used! I create from these
fontsets (some examples were posted in this list, you'll find them in
the archive, this and last year) and use only them, as in:

         (require 'site-fontsets-x11)
         (modify-coding-system-alist 'process "\\*shell\\*\\'" 'utf-8-
unix)
         (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.tex\\'" 'iso-latin-9)
         (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
         (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8-unix)
         (setq initial-frame-alist '(
           (border-color     . "#4e3832")
           (foreground-color . "grey10")
           (background-color . "PaleTurquoise1")
           (active-alpha     . 0.875)
           (inactive-alpha   . 0.75)
           (font . "fontset-10pt_lucidatypewriter")
           (top . 5) (left . 500) (width . 106) (height . 50))
         )
         (setq default-frame-alist '(
           (background-color     . "LightCyan1")
           (cursor-color         . "purple")
           (cursor-type          . box)
           (foreground-color     . "grey10")
           (vertical-scroll-bars . left)
           (active-alpha         . 0.875)
           (inactive-alpha       . 0.75)
           (font . "fontset-11pt_adobe_courier")
           (top . 25) (left . 50) (width . 89) (height . 50))
         )

Most coding system issues are correctly set via LC_CTYPE, which in my
case is de_DE.UTF-8.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go
by" (Douglas Adams)

* Re: Swedish letters in outline-mode under GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
@ 2006-03-23  0:09 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2006-03-23  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I have built the cvs version 22.0.50.1 of GNU Emacs on my Gentoo PC and
> found it to be a real speed devil and to contain lots of new really
> useful features not present in GNU Emacs 21.4 or earlier. Everything
> works very well except for the following:

> 2. When I try to debug several different programs from the same Emacs
> session I get the error message:
>            gdb: Multiple debugging is only supported with "gdb
> --fullname" [2 times]
> I have tried adding the flags --fullname to the call to gdb but it does
> not help.

Did you read the Debugers node in the Emacs Manual?  If you enable
tool-bar-mode (which is useful for this mode anyway) you need just click on
the icon with a question mark to reach this node.

>           I have also tried the flag -fullname listed in the gdb manual
> page but that did now work either.

You need to kill the GUD buffer started with --annotate=3 first i.e both
sessions need to be run with --fullname.

> Multiple debugging has always worked fine for me in GNU Emacs 21.4 and
> earlier.

Well both sessions really need the same debugger e.g gdb, not gdb and perldb
and there are minor annoyances like only having one overlay arrow but if you
don't mind this you should find it still works.

The new mode for GDB (node: GDB Graphical Interface) has many new features.
If you really need multiple debugging, I would recommend a separate Emacs
instance for each debug session, if possible.

* Re: Swedish letters in outline-mode under GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
@ 2006-03-23  4:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-03-23  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hey there, Emacs Lovers!
> I have built the cvs version 22.0.50.1 of GNU Emacs on my Gentoo PC and
> found it to be a real speed devil and to contain lots of new really
> useful features not present in GNU Emacs 21.4 or earlier. Everything
> works very well except for the following:

> 1. I cannot get the swedish letters (åäöÅÄÖ) to be rendered in
> outline-mode, eventhough they work in text and C mode. Instead they are
> drawng in another color as their octal values \366, \344 etc.

Does it happen with "emacs -Q" as well?
If not, the problem is in your .emacs.  Maybe a left-over call to
standard-display-european?

* Re: Swedish letters in outline-mode under GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
@ 2006-03-23  9:20   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2006-03-23  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier skrev:

> Does it happen with "emacs -Q" as well?
> If not, the problem is in your .emacs.  Maybe a left-over call to
> standard-display-european?

Yes, it happens with "emacs -Q" as well!

/Per

* Re: Swedish letters in outline-mode under GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1
@ 2006-03-24  5:07   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-03-24  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 1. I cannot get the swedish letters (åäöÅÄÖ) to be rendered in
>> outline-mode, eventhough they work in text and C mode. Instead they are
>> drawng in another color as their octal values \366, \344 etc.

Since it also happens with "emacs -Q", please explain exactly how to
reproduce this problem.  Most likely Emacs doesn't understand which encoding
is used and picks the wrong one.