* Re: org-mode, please change the name of function org-metaleft etc
@ 2007-10-30 23:03   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-10-30 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In org-mode the functions that are bound to some keys are named after
>> the key binding, for example:
>>
>>   <M-left>        org-metaleft
>>
>> It might be helpful when developing, but it is not very helpful to the
>> user. It would be nice of the name of those commands where changed to
>> something with a different mnemonic (ie what the command does).
>
> This kind of functions take different actions depending on the context.
> So picking up more readable names for them is tricky.
>
> See the docstring of `org-metaleft':
>
> ,----[ (org-metaleft &optional arg) ]
> | Promote heading or move table column to left.
> | Calls `org-do-promote' or `org-table-move-column', depending on context.
> | With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `backward-word'.
> | See the individual commands for more information.
> `----
>
> I cannot think of a better name.  What would you propose?

It does not have to be short. It should rather be descriptive IMO.

* Re: org-mode, please change the name of function org-metaleft etc
       [not found] <47279F39.2010401@gmail.com>
@ 2007-10-30 23:49 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-30 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

--
Bastien

* Re: org-mode, please change the name of function org-metaleft etc
@ 2007-10-31  2:29     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-31  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>> See the docstring of `org-metaleft':
>>
>> ,----[ (org-metaleft &optional arg) ]
>> | Promote heading or move table column to left.
>> | Calls `org-do-promote' or `org-table-move-column', depending on context.
>> | With no specific context, calls the Emacs default `backward-word'.
>> | See the individual commands for more information.
>> `----
>>
>> I cannot think of a better name.  What would you propose?
>
> It does not have to be short. It should rather be descriptive IMO.

org-do-promote-or-table-move-left-or-backward-word ?!

I do understand the current name of the function is not very helpful,
but if a user want to know more about this defun, it's likely he will
look for the docstring instead, no?

--
Bastien