* print from emacs
@ 2008-05-22  6:13 Alain Muls
From: Alain Muls @ 2008-05-22  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Hi emacs-users

I develop c++ using emacs, but I cannot set up to print the source code
from emacs using 2 logical pages per physical page and with 98 chars per
line and using special fonts for the code. I also do not know how to
specify which printer to use. My system uses the cupsys system for printing.

mvg/Alain

[-- Attachment #2: alain_muls.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Alain Muls
n:Muls;Alain
org:RMA;CISS
adr:;;Renaissance Avenue 30;Brussems;;1000;Belgium
email;internet:alain.muls@telenet.be
title:Prof
tel;work:+32.2.7376340
tel;cell:+32.477.675091
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: print from emacs
@ 2008-05-22  8:12 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <4835460E.6060807@telenet.be>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-22  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Muls; +Cc: emacs list

Am 22.05.2008 um 08:13 schrieb Alain Muls:

> I cannot set up to print the source code from emacs []

Why can't you delegate this to GNU Enscript? GNU Emacs is not meant
to work as a pretty-printer ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

* Re: print from emacs
@ 2008-05-22  8:39 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-05-22  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Muls; +Cc: emacs list

Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> writes:

> Hi emacs-users
>
> I develop c++ using emacs, but I cannot set up to print the source
> code from emacs using 2 logical pages per physical page and with 98
> chars per line and using special fonts for the code. I also do not
> know how to specify which printer to use. My system uses the cupsys
> system for printing.
>

> mvg/Alain

Hello, you can use an external program that you launch from emacs,
i use gtklp, here is my config:(install first gtklp)

,----
| (setq lpr-command "gtklp")
| (setq-default ps-print-header nil)
| (set-variable 'lpr-switches '("-Pepson"))
| (global-set-key (kbd "<f12> p b") 'ps-print-buffer)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<f12> p r") 'ps-print-region)
`----
(i use an epson printer, you have to change that may be)
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: print from emacs
@ 2008-05-22 11:29   ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]   ` <4835460E.6060807@telenet.be>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-05-22 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, May 22 2008, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Why can't you delegate this to GNU Enscript? GNU Emacs is not meant
> to work as a pretty-printer ...

But it does it quite well.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: print from emacs
       [not found]   ` <4835460E.6060807@telenet.be>
@ 2008-05-22 12:47     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-22 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Muls; +Cc: emacs list

Am 22.05.2008 um 12:08 schrieb Alain Muls:

> This looks very nice, but how can I integrate a call to enscript in
> emacs and specify a specific printer?

Shell-command, shell-command-on-region. You could also prepare a
(few) shell script(s) of which each one could be a print or lpr
command for GNU Emacs. Could be it works to set lpr-command as a file-
local variable, and the same might work also for lpr-switches to
select a particular printer or setup ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
				– Robert Heinlein

* Re: print from emacs
@ 2008-05-22 15:49       ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-22 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs list, Alain Muls

> Am 22.05.2008 um 12:08 schrieb Alain Muls:
>
>> This looks very nice, but how can I integrate a call to enscript in
>> emacs and specify a specific printer?

Sorry that I didn't post this to the list earlier:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EnscriptPrint

> Shell-command, shell-command-on-region. You could also prepare a (few)
> shell script(s) of which each one could be a print or lpr  command for
> GNU Emacs. Could be it works to set lpr-command as a file-
> local variable, and the same might work also for lpr-switches to
> select a particular printer or setup ...

You can also pipe the output to a2ps using shell-command-on-region.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician