* indenting keyword arguments so far
@ 2008-09-08 14:25 Tamas K Papp
From: Tamas K Papp @ 2008-09-08 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi asked this on c.l.l, but didn't find a solution, so I thought I would
ask here.  I would like my Common Lisp code to be indented properly.

Suppose I type

(foo :a a :b b
:c c :d :e e
:f f :g g)

into a Lisp buffer (keyword names are deliberately short, but imagine they
would not fit on a line).  C-M-q gives

(foo :a a :b b
	  :c c :d d :e e
	  :f f :g g)

Pressing Tab gives

(foo :a a :b b
	  :c c :d d :e e
		    :f f :g g)

What I would prefer is something like

(foo :a a :b b
     :c c :d d :e e
     :f f :g g)

Others on c.l.l claim it works properly for them, but not for me.  I am
using Emacs 23.0.0.1, with the following settings:

C-M-q runs the command indent-sexp
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `lisp-mode.el'.

TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command lisp-indent-line
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `lisp-mode.el'.

lisp-indent-function is a variable defined in `lisp-mode.el'.
Its value is
common-lisp-indent-function
Local in buffer foo.lisp; global value is
lisp-indent-function

(symbol-plist 'common-lisp-indent-function) gives nil.

From the comments of others, I am under the impression that what I want
should work out of the box, but it doesn't.  Please help me find out
why...

Thanks,

Tamas

* Re: indenting keyword arguments so far
@ 2008-09-08 15:19 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.18746.1220887362.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-09-08 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas K Papp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tamas K Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi asked this on c.l.l, but didn't find a solution, so I thought I would
> ask here.  I would like my Common Lisp code to be indented properly.
>
> Suppose I type
>
> (foo :a a :b b
> :c c :d :e e
> :f f :g g)
>
> into a Lisp buffer (keyword names are deliberately short, but imagine they
> would not fit on a line).  C-M-q gives
>
> (foo :a a :b b
> 	  :c c :d d :e e
> 	  :f f :g g)
>
> Pressing Tab gives
>
> (foo :a a :b b
> 	  :c c :d d :e e
> 		    :f f :g g)
>
> What I would prefer is something like
>
> (foo :a a :b b
>      :c c :d d :e e
>      :f f :g g)
>
> Others on c.l.l claim it works properly for them, but not for me.  I am
> using Emacs 23.0.0.1, with the following settings:
>
> C-M-q runs the command indent-sexp
>   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `lisp-mode.el'.
>
> TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command lisp-indent-line
>   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `lisp-mode.el'.
>
> lisp-indent-function is a variable defined in `lisp-mode.el'.
> Its value is
> common-lisp-indent-function
> Local in buffer foo.lisp; global value is
> lisp-indent-function
>
> (symbol-plist 'common-lisp-indent-function) gives nil.
>
>>From the comments of others, I am under the impression that what I want
> should work out of the box, but it doesn't.  Please help me find out
> why...

Hi,
it seem `common-lisp-indent-function' is set for lisp-mode, and
emacs-lisp-mode overhide this settings.
How did you set lisp-indent-function ? (with a hook may be?)
if you just set it with:
,----
| (setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function)
`----
you will have this setting both for emacs-lisp and cl.
The property lists will be indented correctly but you will lost
the if emacs-lisp indentation:

,----
| (if A
|     nil)
`----

instead of

,----
| (if A
|   nil)
`----

is it a problem?

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: indenting keyword arguments so far
@ 2008-09-08 15:20 ` Joost Kremers
       [not found] ` <mailman.18746.1220887362.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-09-08 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tamas K Papp wrote:
> What I would prefer is something like
>
> (foo :a a :b b
>      :c c :d d :e e
>      :f f :g g)
>
> Others on c.l.l claim it works properly for them, but not for me.  I am
> using Emacs 23.0.0.1, with the following settings:

have you tried starting emacs with either the -q (no ~/.emacs or
default.el) or -Q (no site-start.el either) switch and see if it works
then? if it does, go through your config files with a fine comb.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

@ 2008-09-08 19:13   ` Tamas K Papp
From: Tamas K Papp @ 2008-09-08 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:19:20 +0200, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

> it seem `common-lisp-indent-function' is set for lisp-mode, and
> emacs-lisp-mode overhide this settings. How did you set
> lisp-indent-function ? (with a hook may be?) if you just set it with:
> ,----
> | (setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function) `----

I tried M-: (setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function), but
it changed nothing about the indentation of foo above.

@ 2008-09-08 19:14   ` Tamas K Papp
From: Tamas K Papp @ 2008-09-08 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:20:06 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

> have you tried starting emacs with either the -q (no ~/.emacs or
> default.el) or -Q (no site-start.el either) switch and see if it works
> then? if it does, go through your config files with a fine comb.

I tried both -q and -Q, and it changed nothing about the indentation of
foo in the original example.  Weird.  Maybe I will try to compile the
latest emacs snapshot...

@ 2008-09-08 22:26     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-09-08 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas K Papp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tamas K Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:19:20 +0200, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>
>> it seem `common-lisp-indent-function' is set for lisp-mode, and
>> emacs-lisp-mode overhide this settings. How did you set
>> lisp-indent-function ? (with a hook may be?) if you just set it with:
>> ,----
>> | (setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function) `----
>
> I tried M-: (setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function), but
> it changed nothing about the indentation of foo above.

You can try to write this code in your .emacs and restart emacs.
It would work.