* How to make emacs not load something in its path?
@ 2014-11-17 16:50 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-11-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This may be a common thing but it never crossed my pea brain before.

How would I stop emacs from loading something in its path?

For example: If I wanted to have one emacs version load ~/.emacs and a
different version NOT load it.

Or would it just be better to remove ~/.emacs and have each version
load its own ~/.emacs-24, or ~/.emacs-25

* Re: How to make emacs not load something in its path?
@ 2014-11-17 20:28 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-11-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-11-17 17:50 Harry Putnam wrote:
> This may be a common thing but it never crossed my pea brain before.
>
> How would I stop emacs from loading something in its path?
>
> For example: If I wanted to have one emacs version load ~/.emacs and a
> different version NOT load it.
>
> Or would it just be better to remove ~/.emacs and have each version
> load its own ~/.emacs-24, or ~/.emacs-25

You can write one init file that looks at the version of the current
emacs and loads the correct file.

Maybe the variable emacs-version will help you here.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: How to make emacs not load something in its path?
@ 2014-11-17 21:02   ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-11-17 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org> writes:

> On 2014-11-17 17:50 Harry Putnam wrote:
>> This may be a common thing but it never crossed my pea brain before.
>>
>> How would I stop emacs from loading something in its path?
>>
>> For example: If I wanted to have one emacs version load ~/.emacs and a
>> different version NOT load it.
>>
>> Or would it just be better to remove ~/.emacs and have each version
>> load its own ~/.emacs-24, or ~/.emacs-25
>
> You can write one init file that looks at the version of the current
> emacs and loads the correct file.
>
> Maybe the variable emacs-version will help you here.

yeah, for example for conditionals in your .emacs

;; version depending stuff
(cond ((= emacs-major-version 25)
        ;; ...
       (message "Loaded Emacs-25 stuff"))
      ((= emacs-major-version 24)
       ;; ...
       (message "Loaded Emacs-24 stuff")))

;; other potentially interesting variables:
emacs-version
emacs-minor-version

        Dieter
--