* Binding mouse button sequence to function
@ 2024-05-11 15:50 kitzman
From: kitzman @ 2024-05-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey all,

I want to bind [down-mouse-1 mouse-2] to kill-region. Can one do that?
Using "global-set-key" results in an error because
mouse buttons are not prefix keys.

Kind regards,
kitzman

* Re: Binding mouse button sequence to function
@ 2024-05-12  3:08 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-05-12  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I want to bind [down-mouse-1 mouse-2] to kill-region.  Can one do that?

Yes.

> Using "global-set-key" results in an error because mouse buttons are
> not prefix keys.

That's just a minor/silly error.  It's just telling you that the
`down-mouse-1` prefix already has a binding in this keymap and the two
are not compatible.
So you can work around it by doing:

    (global-set-key [down-mouse-1] nil)
    (global-set-key [down-mouse-1 mouse-2] <FOO>)

This said, maybe a better approach is to try and change
`mouse-drag-region` so as to kill-region when you hit `mouse-2`.

* Re: Binding mouse button sequence to function
@ 2024-05-24  0:13   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-05-24  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> Using "global-set-key" results in an error because mouse
>> buttons are not prefix keys.
>
> That's just a minor/silly error. It's just telling you that
> the `down-mouse-1` prefix already has a binding in this
> keymap and the two are not compatible. So you can work
> around it by doing:
>
>     (global-set-key [down-mouse-1] nil)
>     (global-set-key [down-mouse-1 mouse-2] <FOO>)

As you are aware, and I quote the docstring for
`global-set-key',

  This is a legacy function; see ‘keymap-global-set’ for the
  recommended function to use instead.

Maybe that is just a "minor/silly error" as well? :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal