* Re: igrep-find – looking for a way to filter  files
       [not found] <dd53b45b-5ed2-4eed-8410-bb21cad9f00e@z24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
@ 2008-04-29  9:05 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-04-29  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Avi,

> Is there a way to filter the files that will be searched by
> igrep- find ?
> I want to eliminate certain patterns from the search. For
> example, I want to apply the filter pattern: -wholename
> "*.svn*" –prune in order to avoid searching in svn sub
> directories.

This is the code I'm using for me, myself and I:

;; search for files with names matching a wild card pattern and dired the
;; output
(global-set-key [(control c) ?1] 'find-name-dired)

;; search for files with contents matching a wild card pattern and dired the
;; output
(global-set-key [(control c) ?2] 'find-grep-dired)

;; run grep via find, with user-specified arguments
(global-set-key [(control c) ?3] 'grep-find)

;; ignore `.svn' and `CVS' directories
(setq grep-find-command
      (concat
       "find . \\( -path '*/.svn' -o -path '*/CVS' \\) -prune -o -type f -print0"
              " | xargs -0 -e grep -i -n -e "))

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: igrep-find – looking for a way to filter   files
@ 2008-04-29 10:04   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-04-29 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Avi,
>
>> Is there a way to filter the files that will be searched by
>> igrep- find ?
>> I want to eliminate certain patterns from the search. For
>> example, I want to apply the filter pattern: -wholename
>> "*.svn*" –prune in order to avoid searching in svn sub
>> directories.
>
> This is the code I'm using for me, myself and I:
>
> ;; search for files with names matching a wild card pattern and dired the
> ;; output
> (global-set-key [(control c) ?1] 'find-name-dired)
>
> ;; search for files with contents matching a wild card pattern and dired the
> ;; output
> (global-set-key [(control c) ?2] 'find-grep-dired)
>
> ;; run grep via find, with user-specified arguments
> (global-set-key [(control c) ?3] 'grep-find)
>
> ;; ignore `.svn' and `CVS' directories
> (setq grep-find-command
>       (concat
>        "find . \\( -path '*/.svn' -o -path '*/CVS' \\) -prune -o -type f -print0"
>               " | xargs -0 -e grep -i -n -e "))
>
> Seb
Hello,
have a look also at TraverseDirectory.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TraverseDirectory

It don't work with the find command but with an external python program.
It can be use with the egrep interface or in muse-mode.
You can configure the repertory (.svn etc...) or the files (.elc etc...)
to ignore in a special file (.traverse.cfg) with an very easy syntax.

The mode (pygrep-mode) that work with muse is now very nice and can be
integrated also in planner to find all the todos of one project.
(you will find the link to the planner file in TraverseDirectory also)

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: igrep-find – looking for a way to filter  files
@ 2008-05-02  2:26   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-05-02  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Avi,
>
>> Is there a way to filter the files that will be searched by
>> igrep- find ?
>> I want to eliminate certain patterns from the search. For
>> example, I want to apply the filter pattern: -wholename
>> "*.svn*" –prune in order to avoid searching in svn sub
>> directories.

I haven't seen the original message from Avi, but:

(setq igrep-find-prune-clause "-type d -wholename \"*.svn*\")

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA