* vim modlines
@ 2008-08-30 11:16 TheLonelyStar
From: TheLonelyStar @ 2008-08-30 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

In the vim the last line of a file can be a "modline" The modline then tells
vim thins like whether to use tabs or spaces and other formating
information.

Can this somehow be done in emacs to?

Thanks
Nathan

* Re: vim modlines
@ 2008-08-30 11:40 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-08-30 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 04:16:32 -0700 (PDT) TheLonelyStar wrote:

> In the vim the last line of a file can be a "modline" The modline then tells
> vim thins like whether to use tabs or spaces and other formating
> information.
>
> Can this somehow be done in emacs to?

Look up "File Variables" in the manual.

David

* Re: vim modlines
       [not found] <mailman.17989.1220095001.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-30 12:25 ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-08-30 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 30, 1:16 pm, TheLonelyStar <nab...@lonely-star.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the vim the last line of a file can be a "modline" The modline then tells
> vim thins like whether to use tabs or spaces and other formating
> information.
>
> Can this somehow be done in emacs to?
>
> Thanks
> Nathan
> --

In emacs, the first line can be used as a modline. For example, a file
beginning by

-*- mode: flyspell; ispell-dictionary: "english"; coding: latin-1 -*-

will select latin-1 encoding and operate spell-checking on the fly
with an english dictionary.

The following two lines

-*- mode: auto-fill; mode: hi-lock; indent-tabs-mode: nil-*-
;; Hi-lock: (("[0-9]+" (0 (quote hi-blue-b) t)))

set automatic wrapping of lines with length greater than the width of
the buffer, highlight all numbers in a blue color, and use spaces
instead of tabs.

* Re: vim modlines
@ 2008-08-30 13:49   ` TheLonelyStar
From: TheLonelyStar @ 2008-08-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Ok, thanks!
But can I somehow make emacs understand the vim modlines?

* Re: vim modlines
@ 2008-08-31  0:19     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-08-31  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TheLonelyStar; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

TheLonelyStar wrote:
> Ok, thanks!
> But can I somehow make emacs understand the vim modlines?

You can, but I believe you have to write the elisp code yourself.