* Emacs22, Emacs23, and symlinks
@ 2008-09-20 21:45 Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2008-09-20 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using Ubuntu Gutsy, and I have (somewhat unintentionally) installed
both emacs22 and emacs23 (as emacs-snapshot-gtk) on my system. The
command 'emacs' (usr/bin/emacs) points to:

/etc/alternatives/emacs22

In turn, the above points back (to /usr/bin) to:

/usr/bin/emacs22

So, when I run 'emacs' from the command prompt or alt-f2, I get emacs22
instead of emacs-snapshot-gtk. (And, 22 complains about fonts in
.Xresources.)

I know that I can change these symlinks (to point to emacs-snapshot);
but before doing so, I wanted to check that I wouldn't be doing any
unintended harm by way of this change. I suppose I could uninstall
emacs22 as well (since I use 23), and I only ended up with 22 because of
an associated lisp install from apt; but again, before doing so, I
thought I would check.

Any cautions or suggestions?

Thanks.

Ross