Gregory Heytings writes: >>>> Sorry for protracting the conversation, I just think the >>>> interpretation of the guideline is important. >>> >>> Not for the proposal itself. >> >> Well yes, because if packages may bind to C-c *with* the consent of >> users, the need for a special package map decreases. >> > > As I said, IMO it does not, it can't work as a long-term solution, 26 > letters is simply not enough. Anyway, neither I nor you can decide > what the "correct" understanding of that guideline is, so I suggest we > stop arguing. A proposal has been made, we'll see what the > maintainers do with it. I agree. I was thinking about asking emacs-devel for opinions on the matter, that will probably make more sense, and might result in a rephrasing. >> The way I see it is that there is no need for a value like 'best, >> because this whole idea is that magit wants to bind their keys by >> default, but it shouldn't bind it to C-c g. If you're going to set >> magit-define-global-key-bindings to 'best, you might just as well >> directly bind magit-status to C-c g. I think it would be totally ok >> for Magit to have the default value set to nil, and then bind to C-c >> g, but that undermines their entire motivation, as there would be no >> default binding. > > Do you use Magit? Magit binds three commands globally when > magit-define-global-key-bindings is t (its default value): > magit-status to C-x g, magit-dispatch to C-x M-g, and > magit-file-dispatch to C-c M-g. Magit recommends to rebind the last > one (magit-file-dispatch) to C-c g, and there is no special value for > magit-define-global-key-bindings, and no code elsewhere in Magit, to > do that automatically. I use MELPA Stable, so my version of Magit is from 2018, so the only one I use magit-status. -- Philip K.