* ERC and bitlbee and emacs-w3m and HTML
@ 2004-09-14 13:30 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-09-14 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anybody got some predefined voodoo for rendering HTML messages in
ERC?  I have installed Bitlbee, and other AIM users like to send me
HTML.

emacs-w3m might produce nicely looking output.

Kai

* Re: ERC and bitlbee and emacs-w3m and HTML
       [not found] <mailman.2712.1095169034.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-14 19:36 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2004-09-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Has anybody got some predefined voodoo for rendering HTML messages in
> ERC?  I have installed Bitlbee, and other AIM users like to send me
> HTML.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but in case you didn't know,
you can 'set html strip' in bitlbee to strip all html which makes it
much easier to read the garbage that others send. :)

I've really had a problem communicating sometimes with HTML-based AIM
users, it cannot properly render the ASCII arrows I like to use,
e.g. if I say

    look at the word bazoink <-- right here

then all the users see is

    look at the word bazoink

since HTML-based AIM clients think that I'm opening an HTML command
with the <-- and ignore everything after it.
--
Benjamin Rutt

* Re: ERC and bitlbee and emacs-w3m and HTML
@ 2004-09-17 23:23   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-09-17 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Rutt wrote:
 > I've really had a problem communicating sometimes with HTML-based AIM
 > users, it cannot properly render the ASCII arrows I like to use,
 > e.g. if I say
 >
 >     look at the word bazoink <-- right here
 >
 > then all the users see is
 >
 >     look at the word bazoink
 >
 > since HTML-based AIM clients think that I'm opening an HTML command
 > with the <-- and ignore everything after it.

Look up the phrase "HTML entity reference" &lt;-- right here

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: ERC and bitlbee and emacs-w3m and HTML
@ 2004-09-25 17:26   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-09-25 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Rutt <rutt.4+news@osu.edu> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
>
>> Has anybody got some predefined voodoo for rendering HTML messages in
>> ERC?  I have installed Bitlbee, and other AIM users like to send me
>> HTML.
>
> I know this doesn't answer your question, but in case you didn't know,
> you can 'set html strip' in bitlbee to strip all html which makes it
> much easier to read the garbage that others send. :)

I'm afraid of the warning, though.  I've tried it, but w3m is so cool
that I would really appreciate a solution.

Kai