* saving a layout
@ 2006-07-20  0:13 Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2006-07-20  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

can I save more than 2 layouts to get back to when I need to.
C-x r w to save and C-x r j to jump to only allows me 2 layouts, what
about more than 2.

thanks

* Re: saving a layout
@ 2006-07-20  6:09 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-07-20  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi Gary,

> can I save more than 2 layouts to get back to when I need to.

Sure you can. Save them with `C-x r w R' where R is a character naming
the register. You can restore them with `C-x r j R'.

Have a look at:

,----[ (info "(emacs)RegConfig") ]

`----

> C-x r w to save and C-x r j to jump to only allows me 2 layouts, what
> about more than 2.

Why do you think that?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
* delYsid has mortage, opportunity and penis in his score file.
<delYsid> thats pretty effective against spam

* Re: saving a layout
@ 2006-07-20 11:25   ` Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2006-07-20 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> > can I save more than 2 layouts to get back to when I need to.
>
> Sure you can. Save them with `C-x r w R' where R is a character naming
> the register. You can restore them with `C-x r j R'.
>
> Have a look at:
>
> ,----[ (info "(emacs)RegConfig") ]
> | 18.4 Saving Window Configurations in Registers
> | ==============================================
> |
> | You can save the window configuration of the selected frame in a
> | register, or even the configuration of all windows in all frames, and
> | restore the configuration later.
> `----
>
> > C-x r w to save and C-x r j to jump to only allows me 2 layouts, what
> > about more than 2.
>
> Why do you think that?

because I tried to jump to a saved register when I was at gnus but it
did not let me. thats after saving a char for the gnus.

* Re: saving a layout
@ 2006-07-20 12:50     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-07-20 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi Gary,

> because I tried to jump to a saved register when I was at gnus but it
> did not let me. thats after saving a char for the gnus.

Erm, do I get you right: You saved a window configuration of Gnus like
the one below?

+--------------------+
|                    |
|    *Summary*       |
|                    |
+--------------------+
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|    *Article*       |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |

If yes, then I suppose you left the summary buffer with `q' which
deletes this buffer. If you restore the window configuration later, the
the windows will be split correctly, but the summary buffer won't be
shown because it's deleted.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
VI VI VI - The Roman Number Of The Beast