* Debugging flyspell problems.
@ 2010-08-17  1:01 R. Clayton
From: R. Clayton @ 2010-08-17  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I run GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of 2009-11-01
on raven, modified by Debian on a debian testing system updated weekly.  A
recent update broke flyspell: when I run flyspell-mode, I get the error message

  Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error

I tried poking around in flyspell-mode-on with the debugger (via
debug-on-entry), but couldn't figure out what's going wrong.  What tips would
help me figure out what's going on, or fix the problem?

Note:  the ispell-* commands work.

* Re: Debugging flyspell problems.
@ 2010-08-19 17:15 ` Andrei Jirnyi
From: Andrei Jirnyi @ 2010-08-19 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:01:29 -0400, R. Clayton wrote:

> I run GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of
> 2009-11-01 on raven, modified by Debian on a debian testing system
> updated weekly.  A recent update broke flyspell: when I run
> flyspell-mode, I get the error message
>
>   Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error

Not sure if it was the same problem, but I recently fixed the same issue
as follows (this is 23.2.1 on fedora 13, your stuff may vary):

- in flyspell.el, search-replace  (called-interactively-p 'interactive))
by (called-interactively-p))
- as root, emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/
textmodes/flyspell.el

--aj

* Re: Debugging flyspell problems.
@ 2010-08-20  2:14   ` R. Clayton
From: R. Clayton @ 2010-08-20  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  Not sure if it was the same problem, but I recently fixed the same issue as
  follows (this is 23.2.1 on fedora 13, your stuff may vary):

It was, and your suggestion fixed the problem; thank you.  How did you find
out what the problem was?

* Re: Debugging flyspell problems.
@ 2010-08-21 14:53     ` Andrei Jirnyi
From: Andrei Jirnyi @ 2010-08-21 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:14:07 -0400, R. Clayton wrote:

> Not sure if it was the same problem, but I recently fixed the same issue
> as
>   follows (this is 23.2.1 on fedora 13, your stuff may vary):
>
> It was, and your suggestion fixed the problem; thank you.  How did you
> find out what the problem was?

I found it somewhere with google, don't have a link at hand though, but
should be easy to locate... iirc it was related to ispell being replaced
with aspell in modern linuxes.

--aj