* calendar longitude first and then latitude
@ 2012-07-23 16:36 Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-07-23 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

In the calendar, when I press 'S' to give the times of sunrise and
sunset, Emacs asks for longitude first and then latitude, despite the
norm is the other way round (and is the order for an example in the
Emacs manual).

- Enda

* Re: calendar longitude first and then latitude
       [not found] <mailman.5431.1343061403.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-23 17:00 ` Ellen Taylor
From: Ellen Taylor @ 2012-07-23 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> writes:

> In the calendar, when I press 'S' to give the times of sunrise and
> sunset, Emacs asks for longitude first and then latitude, despite the
> norm is the other way round (and is the order for an example in the
> Emacs manual).
>
> - Enda

Define your own version of the 'solar-setup' function with the order for
longitude and latitude reversed and map it to the 'S' key. The other
option is to define 'calendar-longitude','calendar-latitude', and
'calendar-time-zone' ahead of time and avoid the prompt altogether but
from the sound of it you aren't just checking one area.

* Re: calendar longitude first and then latitude
@ 2012-07-23 20:09 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-07-23 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enda; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Am 23.07.2012 um 18:36 schrieb Enda:

> In the calendar, when I press 'S' to give the times of sunrise and
> sunset, Emacs asks for longitude first and then latitude, despite the
> norm is the other way round

This happens quite often with other applications as well. The best is you set up a site init file (site-start.el) with settings like:

	(setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts
	   '(calendar-nth-named-day -1 0  3 year))
	(setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends
	   '(calendar-nth-named-day -1 0 10 year))
	(setq calendar-daylight-savings-starts-time 120)
	(setq calendar-daylight-savings-ends-time   180)
	(setq calendar-longitude +8.7561)
	(setq calendar-latitude +50.3396)
	(setq calendar-location-name "Friedberg")
	(setq calendar-standard-time-zone-name "MEZ")
	(setq calendar-daylight-time-zone-name "MESZ")
	(setq calendar-current-time-zone-cache
	      '(60 60 "MEZ" "MESZ"
		(calendar-nth-named-day -1 0  3 year)
	        (calendar-nth-named-day -1 0 10 year)
		120 180))
	(setq display-time-24hr-format t)

That will allow to observe the situation here at home. (Could be some settings are old and unnecessary.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family. Prepare to die!"