* GNU Emacs under Windows 2000: .emacs file
@ 2002-12-12 14:20 jaime suarez
From: jaime suarez @ 2002-12-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I installed the Win2K version of GNU Emacs and
it runs fine.  However I cannot find the file
.emacs or _emacs.  Where is this file supposed
to be?  Do I have to create it?

In Windows 2000, what is the equivalent of
the UNIX "Home" directory?

Thank you in advance,
Jaime

* Re: GNU Emacs under Windows 2000: .emacs file
@ 2002-12-12 15:12 ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-12-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Dec 2002, jaime.suarez@crossmatch.net wrote:
> I installed the Win2K version of GNU Emacs and
> it runs fine.  However I cannot find the file
> .emacs or _emacs.  Where is this file supposed
> to be?  Do I have to create it?

Type C-x C-f ~/.emacs

You are now in that file.  (The point is that Emacs either finds
a file that exists or makes a buffer that, when saved, will be
that file)

> In Windows 2000, what is the equivalent of
> the UNIX "Home" directory?

The HOME environmental variable.

--
Galen Boyer

* Re: GNU Emacs under Windows 2000: .emacs file
@ 2002-12-12 15:35   ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2002-12-12 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> On 12 Dec 2002, jaime.suarez@crossmatch.net wrote:
> > I installed the Win2K version of GNU Emacs and
> > it runs fine.  However I cannot find the file
> > .emacs or _emacs.  Where is this file supposed
> > to be?  Do I have to create it?
>
> Type C-x C-f ~/.emacs
>
> You are now in that file.  (The point is that Emacs either finds
> a file that exists or makes a buffer that, when saved, will be
> that file)
>
> > In Windows 2000, what is the equivalent of
> > the UNIX "Home" directory?
>
> The HOME environmental variable.

Or failing that, Windows defaults to the c:/ drive.

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

* Re: GNU Emacs under Windows 2000: .emacs file
@ 2002-12-12 16:39 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2002-12-12 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

jaime.suarez@crossmatch.net (jaime suarez) writes:

> I installed the Win2K version of GNU Emacs and
> it runs fine.  However I cannot find the file
> .emacs or _emacs.  Where is this file supposed
> to be?  Do I have to create it?

The .emacs is the file that contains your customizations.
You're supposed to create it in your home directory.

> In Windows 2000, what is the equivalent of
> the UNIX "Home" directory?

On windows emacs uses c:\ as your home directory by default.  If you
would like to use another directory you can set the environment
variable HOME to whatever directory you want.  In windows 2000,
environment variables can be set by going in the control-panel, then
opening system, then clicking on the advanced tab, then choosing
environment variables.

Bijan

* Re: GNU Emacs under Windows 2000: .emacs file
@ 2002-12-12 17:25   ` Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2002-12-12 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> On 12 Dec 2002, jaime.suarez@crossmatch.net wrote:
> > I installed the Win2K version of GNU Emacs and
> > it runs fine.  However I cannot find the file
> > .emacs or _emacs.  Where is this file supposed
> > to be?  Do I have to create it?
>
> Type C-x C-f ~/.emacs
>
> You are now in that file.  (The point is that Emacs either finds
> a file that exists or makes a buffer that, when saved, will be
> that file)
>
> > In Windows 2000, what is the equivalent of
> > the UNIX "Home" directory?
>
> The HOME environmental variable.

I don't know about the HOME environment variable, but on my system I
have HOMEDRIVE=C: and HOMEPATH=\cygwin\home\tayd.

The .emacs file is in c:\cygwin\home\tayd

--
Timur.