* Problem with flyspell/ispel
@ 2018-05-03  8:24 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-05-03  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When using gnus the combo flyspell/ispell works without a glitch. I
tried to enable it for another mode, but when I open a file of that
type I get:
(New file)
Fill column set to 72 (was 72)
Starting new Ispell process aspell with dutch dictionary...
Error enabling Flyspell mode:
(Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This could also mean that the file "/usr/lib/aspell/nil.cset" could not be opened for reading or does not exist.)
Starting new Ispell process aspell with dutch dictionary...
Error enabling Flyspell mode:
(Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This could also mean that the file "/usr/lib/aspell/nil.cset" could not be opened for reading or does not exist.)

This is in debian 9 and in debian there is no nil.cset.

What could going wrong?
And how to solve it?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Problem with flyspell/ispel
@ 2018-05-03  8:56 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found] ` <mailman.13332.1525337831.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-05-03  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday,  3 May 2018 at 10:24, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> When using gnus the combo flyspell/ispell works without a glitch. I
> tried to enable it for another mode, but when I open a file of that
> type I get:
> (New file)
> Fill column set to 72 (was 72)
> Starting new Ispell process aspell with dutch dictionary...
> Error enabling Flyspell mode:
> (Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This could also mean that the
> file "/usr/lib/aspell/nil.cset" could not be opened for reading or
> does not exist.)

Maybe you need to define your flyspell-default-dictionary?  I have mine
set to "british", for instance.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.6 on Debian buster/sid

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2018-05-03  9:18   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2018-05-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Thursday,  3 May 2018 at 10:24, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> When using gnus the combo flyspell/ispell works without a glitch. I
>> tried to enable it for another mode, but when I open a file of that
>> type I get:
>> (New file)
>> Fill column set to 72 (was 72)
>> Starting new Ispell process aspell with dutch dictionary...
>> Error enabling Flyspell mode:
>> (Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This could also mean that the
>> file "/usr/lib/aspell/nil.cset" could not be opened for reading or
>> does not exist.)
>
> Maybe you need to define your flyspell-default-dictionary?  I have mine
> set to "british", for instance.

When responding this is nil and in gnus it does work. But I know that
a dictionary is set. So I dig into how this is done.

That uses ispell-local-dictionary. I tried setting ispell-dictionary,
but that did not chang things.

--

@ 2018-05-05 19:56 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2018-05-05 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecil Westerhof; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> This is in debian 9 and in debian there is no nil.cset.
>
> What could going wrong?
> And how to solve it?

I'm going to ask the predictable question.

What happens when you use 'Emacs -Q'?  Also, what happens with Emacs -Q
when you set the dictionary name using '(setq ispell-local-dictionary
"somelanguage")' ?

BR,
Robert Thorpe