Mauro Aranda writes: > (widget-create 'editable-list > :value (list my-first-default) > ;; Change according to the child type. > '(editable-field)) > > Does that not do what you want? I think I can't use this: I don't create an ad-hoc widget, I need an `define-widget' expression to define the widget to behave accordingly when created. And the widget this is about is a part of a group widget definition so there will never be an explicit `widget-create' call by me, the widget will always be created implicitly by the parent. And in this definition a :value spec is more or less ignored - in my tests that child widget will always be created with a nil widget value. I am attaching the code in question so that you don't have to guess - you can find the relevant part by searching for the comment ;; Is there a better approach, Mauro? or simply just your name. Thanks so far, Michael.