* Emacs in Live CD
@ 2006-04-07 13:13 subramani
       [not found] ` <mailman.178.1144434333.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: subramani @ 2006-04-07 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I tried Ubuntu and Gnoppix (Gnome LiveCD). In both i didnt find emacs.
What may be the reason to miss emacs in these LiveCD's ???

--  r.subramani
My log file: http://subramanitce.blogspot.com

* Re: Emacs in Live CD
       [not found] <mailman.162.1144415622.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-07 17:52 ` August Karlstrom
From: August Karlstrom @ 2006-04-07 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

subramani wrote:
> I tried Ubuntu and Gnoppix (Gnome LiveCD). In both i didnt find emacs.
> What may be the reason to miss emacs in these LiveCD's ???

This question is better asked in an Ubuntu or Gnoppix forum.

<off-topic>
If I remember correctly the regular Ubuntu distribution does not contain
the gcc c compiler either. Development tools need to be downloaded
separately. Ubuntu is not primarily aimed at programmers. If you are a
non-programmer, why should you be forced to download development tools?
Fedora Core takes a different approach.
</off-topic>

August

--
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
signature.  This email was infected under the terms of the GNU

* Re: Emacs in Live CD
@ 2006-04-07 18:10   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-04-07 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

August Karlstrom <fusionfive@comhem.se> writes:

> subramani wrote:
>> I tried Ubuntu and Gnoppix (Gnome LiveCD). In both i didnt find emacs.
>> What may be the reason to miss emacs in these LiveCD's ???
>
> This question is better asked in an Ubuntu or Gnoppix forum.
>
> <off-topic>
> If I remember correctly the regular Ubuntu distribution does not
> contain the gcc c compiler either. Development tools need to be
> downloaded separately. Ubuntu is not primarily aimed at
> programmers. If you are a non-programmer, why should you be forced to
> download development tools? Fedora Core takes a different approach.
> </off-topic>

Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life.

Take a look at Usenet hierarchies:

comp.lang.c
comp.sys.hp48
comp.os.linux.development.apps

but

comp.emacs

* Re: Emacs in Live CD
@ 2006-04-07 18:21     ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2006-04-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
> Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life.
>
> Take a look at Usenet hierarchies:
>
> comp.lang.c
> comp.sys.hp48
> comp.os.linux.development.apps
>
> but
>
> comp.emacs

Emacs should probably be at the top level.
There should be groups
emacs
emacs.editing
emacs.games
etc.

Jay

* Re: Emacs in Live CD
@ 2006-04-07 18:25 ` Cameron Desautels
       [not found] ` <mailman.178.1144434333.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Cameron Desautels @ 2006-04-07 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 06:43:37PM +0530, subramani wrote:
> I tried Ubuntu and Gnoppix (Gnome LiveCD). In both i didnt find emacs.
> What may be the reason to miss emacs in these LiveCD's ???

Emacs can be rather large, and LiveCD makers are nearly always low on
space.  If they added emacs they'd likely have to remove something
else.
--
Cameron Desautels <cam@apt2324.com>

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

* Re: Emacs in Live CD
       [not found] ` <mailman.178.1144434333.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-08  0:10   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2006-04-08  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cameron Desautels <cam@apt2324.com> writes:

> Emacs can be rather large, and LiveCD makers are nearly always low on
> space.  If they added emacs they'd likely have to remove something
> else.

mere aggregators, those deep-factor haters,
missed is their opportunity
for refinement, affinity!

banal copy-pasters, those inner-space wasters,
add two four times to make the eight,
yet three to power two they grate!

wretched "live" cd, all the more to pity,
glassy sockets w/ orbs of coal,
sham{-}bling, {qu,gr}easy, lacking soul!

thi

* Re: Emacs in Live CD
@ 2006-04-08  4:02     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-04-08  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Thien-Thi Nguyen" <ttn@glug.org> wrote in message
> Cameron Desautels <cam@apt2324.com> writes:
>
> > Emacs can be rather large, and LiveCD makers are nearly always low on
> > space.  If they added emacs they'd likely have to remove something
> > else.
>
> mere aggregators, those deep-factor haters,
> missed is their opportunity
> for refinement, affinity!
>
> banal copy-pasters, those inner-space wasters,
> add two four times to make the eight,
> yet three to power two they grate!
>
> wretched "live" cd, all the more to pity,
> glassy sockets w/ orbs of coal,
> sham{-}bling, {qu,gr}easy, lacking soul!
>
> thi

<also off-topic>

La! An enclosed - villanelle - Petrarchan - madrigal - limerick hybrid,
redolent of Poe's Raven. "sham{-}bling" I like because bling can be made
of electrum or terne (aka tot-killer); I find the portmanteau word
"{qu,gr}easy" unpronouncable, expanded though, it well describes some of
the people one meets at all-night restaurants. Is this part of a longer
paean to the GLunix* operating system?

* a well-glued together conflation of the more usual Gnu-Linux

Ed