* how to search inside functions definition
@ 2007-07-12 13:50 Camille Bourgoin
From: Camille Bourgoin @ 2007-07-12 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I want to list all the primitive functions in Emacs with a search
within their definitions. But I don't know how to do this.

I search a function in Emacs Wiki, Google etc. nothing.

any idea ?

thank you

P.S. : and excuse me for my poor english ...
--
Camille "Mesmento" Bourgoin
jabber : mr.camille@im.apinc.org

* RE: how to search inside functions definition
@ 2007-07-12 16:03 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-07-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Camille Bourgoin, help-gnu-emacs

> I want to list all the primitive functions in Emacs with a search
> within their definitions. But I don't know how to do this.
>
> I search a function in Emacs Wiki, Google etc. nothing.

Sorry, I'm not clear on what you want. Could you say it in a different way.
French is OK (for me) too. Just what is it that you are searching (the Web?
code examples? Emacs-Lisp source code? Emacs doc?), and just what are you
searching it for (names of primitive functions, I guess)?

* Re: how to search inside functions definition
@ 2007-07-12 17:11 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-12 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Camille Bourgoin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.07.2007 um 15:50 schrieb Camille Bourgoin:

> I want to list all the primitive functions in Emacs with a search
> within their definitions.

Two ways:

	C-h a search RET

or

	C-h <f3> search

The latter, info-apropos, searches in the installed (tex)info files,
i.e. in the extra documentation for GNU Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete
               <\
                 \__     O                       __O
                 | O\   _\\/\-%                _`\<,
                 '()-'-(_)--(_)               (_)/(_)

* Re: how to search inside functions definition
@ 2007-07-12 17:30 ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found] ` <mailman.3406.1184260368.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.3407.1184261909.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-07-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Camille> Hello, I want to list all the primitive functions in
    Camille> Emacs with a search within their definitions.  But I
    Camille> don't know how to do this.

I wonder if this is what you want:

    (let ((funcs '()))
      (mapatoms (lambda (a)
                  (if (and (fboundp a)
                           (subrp (symbol-function a)))
                      (setq funcs (cons a funcs)))))
       funcs)

--
Like most people, I would like to use the words ''parameters''
and ''behoove'' in the same sentence, but I am not sure how.

* Re: how to search inside functions definition
       [not found] <mailman.3401.1184256263.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-12 22:56 ` Camille Bourgoin
From: Camille Bourgoin @ 2007-07-12 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I want to list all the primitive functions in Emacs with a search
>> within their definitions. But I don't know how to do this.
>>
>> I search a function in Emacs Wiki, Google etc. nothing.
>
> Sorry, I'm not clear on what you want. Could you say it in a different way.
> French is OK (for me) too. Just what is it that you are searching (the Web?
> code examples? Emacs-Lisp source code? Emacs doc?), and just what are you
> searching it for (names of primitive functions, I guess)?

I want to list all the primitive (built-in) functions, like "car" or
"*", of Emacs in order to create a Emacs LISP quick reference card with
the main functions of emacs lisp ( and maybe plus some useful
non-primitive functions).

--

@ 2007-07-12 23:00   ` Camille Bourgoin
From: Camille Bourgoin @ 2007-07-12 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.07.2007 um 15:50 schrieb Camille Bourgoin:
>
>> I want to list all the primitive functions in Emacs with a search
>> within their definitions.
>
> Two ways:
>
> 	C-h a search RET
>
> or
>
> 	C-h <f3> search
>
> The latter, info-apropos, searches in the installed (tex)info files,
> i.e. in the extra documentation for GNU Emacs.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

apropos search in the name of the functions. I want to search within
their definitions.

If I search "built-in", I want to find, for exemple :

-------
* is a built-in function.
(* &rest NUMBERS-OR-MARKERS)

Returns product of any number of arguments, which are numbers or
markers.
-------

C-h f3 is for info-apropos ? I don't have this function, is this a
emacs 22 function ? I use the 21 ...

--

@ 2007-07-12 23:12   ` Camille Bourgoin
From: Camille Bourgoin @ 2007-07-12 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

>     Camille> Hello, I want to list all the primitive functions in
>     Camille> Emacs with a search within their definitions.  But I
>     Camille> don't know how to do this.
>
> I wonder if this is what you want:
>
>     (let ((funcs '()))
>       (mapatoms (lambda (a)
>                   (if (and (fboundp a)
>                            (subrp (symbol-function a)))
>                       (setq funcs (cons a funcs)))))
>        funcs)
>
> --
> Like most people, I would like to use the words ''parameters''
> and ''behoove'' in the same sentence, but I am not sure how.
>         -- A Question for 'Ask Mister Language Person'

Yes ! it seems to be good, there is the result (very long) :

(read load-average delete-window internal-lisp-face-attribute-values
minibuffer-depth search-backward-regexp identity bobp command-execute
user-full-name next-single-char-property-change set-time-zone-rule
quit-process process-contact % directory-files nlistp copy-marker
terminal-coding-system * + downcase image-size - buffer-base-buffer
type-of / eobp overlay-get skip-chars-forward frame-char-width < = >
get internal-set-font-selection-order kill-buffer continue-process

... etc ... etc ... etc ... etc ...

process-command x-open-connection region-beginning encode-big5-char
generic-character-list plist-put while elt invocation-directory
widget-apply line-end-position)

thank you :)

i'm going to examinate the code in order to understood what it does ;)

--

@ 2007-07-13  0:01   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-07-13  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Camille Bourgoin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Camille Bourgoin wrote:
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> I want to list all the primitive functions in Emacs with a search
>>> within their definitions. But I don't know how to do this.
>>>
>>> I search a function in Emacs Wiki, Google etc. nothing.
>> Sorry, I'm not clear on what you want. Could you say it in a different way.
>> French is OK (for me) too. Just what is it that you are searching (the Web?
>> code examples? Emacs-Lisp source code? Emacs doc?), and just what are you
>> searching it for (names of primitive functions, I guess)?
>
> I want to list all the primitive (built-in) functions, like "car" or
> "*", of Emacs in order to create a Emacs LISP quick reference card with
> the main functions of emacs lisp ( and maybe plus some useful
> non-primitive functions).

Are you really sure you want to list built-in functions written in C?
Are not most of the functions you actually use when you program in Emacs
lisp written in Emacs lisp?

* Re: how to search inside functions definition
@ 2007-07-13  7:50     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-13  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Camille Bourgoin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.07.2007 um 01:00 schrieb Camille Bourgoin:

> apropos search in the name of the functions. I want to search within
> their definitions.

Have you tried to click on a found function?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.