* Re: image-dired, how does it do the thumbs?
       [not found] <cs963wuf1sd.fsf@Psilocybe.Update.UU.SE>
@ 2008-02-14 17:22 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-14 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Davour; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> But, since I'd like to finish my program as an exercise I'm still a bit
> curious about how image-dired actually creates the thumbnails. Is it
> using an external program to do it, or is it done in elisp? I'm not very
> good as elisp, and am still learning Common Lisp, so I couldn't figure
> it out.
>
> Pointers to how to scale pictures in lisp would be nice, if someone
> have them.

image-dired uses convert from the ImageMagick tools suite.

From image-dired.el :

;; PREREQUISITES
;; =============
;;
;; * The ImageMagick package.  Currently, `convert' and `mogrify' are
;; used.  Find it here: http://www.imagemagick.org.

And there is this defcustom:

,----
| (defcustom image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-program
|   "convert"
|   "Executable used to create thumbnail.
| Used together with `image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-options'."
|   :type 'string
|   :group 'image-dired)
`----

I don't know about a lisp utility doing what convert does.

--
Bastien

@ 2008-02-15  4:09 ` Allan
From: Allan @ 2008-02-15  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> I was working a bit on a Common Lisp program to manage my images, and
> found out that image-dired could do almost all I wanted, including
> tagging pictures.
>
> But, since I'd like to finish my program as an exercise I'm still a bit
> curious about how image-dired actually creates the thumbnails. Is it
> using an external program to do it, or is it done in elisp? I'm not very
> good as elisp, and am still learning Common Lisp, so I couldn't figure
> it out.
>
> Pointers to how to scale pictures in lisp would be nice, if someone
> have them.
>
> So, how does image-dired work?
>
> /Andreas
There was a thread about image-dired and thumbs mode in gnu.emacs.gnus
in late December 2007. You may want to read it as it may answer some
of your questions.

--
Allan

@ 2008-02-15  4:29 ` Allan
       [not found]   ` <cs93aruchsa.fsf@Psilocybe.Update.UU.SE>
From: Allan @ 2008-02-15  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> I was working a bit on a Common Lisp program to manage my images, and
> found out that image-dired could do almost all I wanted, including
> tagging pictures.
>
> But, since I'd like to finish my program as an exercise I'm still a bit
> curious about how image-dired actually creates the thumbnails. Is it
> using an external program to do it, or is it done in elisp? I'm not very
> good as elisp, and am still learning Common Lisp, so I couldn't figure
> it out.
>
> Pointers to how to scale pictures in lisp would be nice, if someone
> have them.
>
> So, how does image-dired work?
>
> /Andreas
Sorry, please ignore my previous post. There was a thread in this news
group by OP "winuser" starting on 18 Dec 2007 regarding image-dired
which may answer some of your questions. I erroneously said the thread
was in gnu.emacs.gnus in my previous post.

--
Allan

* Re: image-dired, how does it do the thumbs?
       [not found]       ` <cs9y79lsfd6.fsf@Psilocybe.Update.UU.SE>
@ 2008-02-21 20:56         ` Niels Giesen
From: Niels Giesen @ 2008-02-21 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

>> You may also be interested in the following link :
>> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-magick/ . That is if you plan to use
>> ImageMagick at all.

There is also http://www.nil.at/software/lisp-magick which is an interface to
 ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org)

 I have written a simple interface for its documentation (and for the C API)
 from within emacs here:

 http://niels.kicks-ass.org/public/elisp/lisp-magick-doc.el

Niels.
--