* limit number and types of windows on 'Compile Command` to 2?
@ 2014-01-31 23:14 ivowel
From: ivowel @ 2014-01-31 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Depending on the width of the terminal, emacs may split one of the buffers vertically or horizontally when I run a compile (or replace the other window with the compile window).

I would like to imitate the "old" behavior, where one could only have two windows (current plus compile), and they were lower and upper windows, not left and right windows.  how would I set this?

thanks.

/iaw

* Re: limit number and types of windows on 'Compile Command` to 2?
@ 2014-01-31 23:37 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-01-31 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivowel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

ivowel@gmail.com writes:

> I would like to imitate the "old" behavior, where one could only have
> two windows (current plus compile), and they were lower and upper
> windows, not left and right windows.  how would I set this?

Set `split-width-threshold' to a reasonably large value.

,----[ C-h v split-width-threshold RET ]
| split-width-threshold is a variable defined in `window.el'.
| Its value is 152
| Original value was 160
|
| Documentation:
| Minimum width for splitting windows sensibly.
| If this is an integer, `split-window-sensibly' may split a window
| horizontally only if it has at least this many columns.  If this
| is nil, `split-window-sensibly' is not allowed to split a window
| horizontally.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 23.1 of Emacs.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: limit number and types of windows on 'Compile Command` to 2?
@ 2014-01-31 23:40 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2014-01-31 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ivowel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

ivowel@gmail.com writes:

> Depending on the width of the terminal, emacs may split one of the
> buffers vertically or horizontally when I run a compile (or replace
> the other window with the compile window).
>
> I would like to imitate the "old" behavior, where one could only have
> two windows (current plus compile), and they were lower and upper
> windows, not left and right windows. how would I set this?

See the docstring of variable split-window-preferred-function, although
possibly the easier route is simply to set split-width-threshold to a
large value.

* RE: limit number and types of windows on 'Compile Command` to 2?
@ 2014-02-01  2:06   ` Ludwig, Mark
From: Ludwig, Mark @ 2014-02-01  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

From: Óscar Fuentes, Friday, January 31, 2014 5:41 PM
> ivowel@gmail.com writes:
>
> > Depending on the width of the terminal, emacs may split one of the
> > buffers vertically or horizontally when I run a compile (or replace
> > the other window with the compile window).
> >
> > I would like to imitate the "old" behavior, where one could only have
> > two windows (current plus compile), and they were lower and upper
> > windows, not left and right windows. how would I set this?
>
> See the docstring of variable split-window-preferred-function, although
> possibly the easier route is simply to set split-width-threshold to a
> large value.

The simplest, absolute solution is to set split-width-threshold to
nil.

Per the doc of that variable, no matter the available width of the
screen, it will never split horizontally.

Enjoy,
Mark