* AUCTeX and Tramp
@ 2008-05-05 14:18 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2008-05-05 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I try to run LaTeX via Tramp on a remote file under AUCTeX, LaTeX
says it can't find the file.  I can't tell if this is a bug or a faulty
configuration or other user error.  I have the same LaTeX setup (paths,
etc.) on both the local and remote machines.  I can reproduce the
problem with Emacs -Q by evaluating (load "auctex.el" nil t t), opening
the file via /ssh:, and typing C-c C-c to run LaTeX.  Then I get the
following output:

--------8<---------
Running `LaTeX' on `dwds' with ``latex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" dwds.tex''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, nohyphenation, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak, german, ngerman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian, finnish, french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian, interlingua, ibycus, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk, polish, portuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian, swedish, turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
! I can't find file `dwds.tex'.
<*> \input dwds.tex

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> \input dwds.tex

No pages of output.
Transcript written on texput.log.

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Mon May  5 15:19:25
-------->8---------

There's no problem running LaTeX on the same file under AUCTeX locally
on either machine, and there's no problem running LaTeX on the same file
via Tramp under the standard Emacs LaTeX-mode.  It's only the
combination Tramp+AUCTeX that fails.  I'd be grateful for any help
resolving this.

This is with GNU Emacs 23.0.60.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.12.0) of 2008-05-05 on escher

Steve Berman

* Re: AUCTeX and Tramp
@ 2008-05-05 17:10 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-05 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:

> When I try to run LaTeX via Tramp on a remote file under AUCTeX, LaTeX
> says it can't find the file.  I can't tell if this is a bug or a faulty
> configuration or other user error.  I have the same LaTeX setup (paths,
> etc.) on both the local and remote machines.  I can reproduce the
> problem with Emacs -Q by evaluating (load "auctex.el" nil t t), opening
> the file via /ssh:, and typing C-c C-c to run LaTeX.  Then I get the
> following output:

Are you sure you're running latex on the remote server?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: AUCTeX and Tramp
@ 2008-05-06 14:05   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2008-05-06 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 05 May 2008 13:10:21 -0400 jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> When I try to run LaTeX via Tramp on a remote file under AUCTeX, LaTeX
>> says it can't find the file.  I can't tell if this is a bug or a faulty
>> configuration or other user error.  I have the same LaTeX setup (paths,
>> etc.) on both the local and remote machines.  I can reproduce the
>> problem with Emacs -Q by evaluating (load "auctex.el" nil t t), opening
>> the file via /ssh:, and typing C-c C-c to run LaTeX.  Then I get the
>> following output:
>
> Are you sure you're running latex on the remote server?

I assumed typing C-c C-c in the LaTeX buffer under Tramp would run LaTeX
on the remote machine; at any rate, as I mentioned in my OP, when I put
the buffer of the remote file in the standard Emacs (non-AUCTeX) LaTeX
mode, I can run LaTeX and it produces a .dvi file on the remote machine.
So this looks like an AUCTeX problem; I'll seek help on the AUCTeX list.

Steve Berman